Need to properly understand importing to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac123, May 28, 2008.

1. imac123 macrumors regular

Please help me understand this properly...

I would like to keep my music files (the actual mp3's) in the iTunes music folder so that everything is organized and in one place.

But so far I've only figured out how to:
    1) Add songs to the library & music folder but the songs appear TWICE in the playlist (I know this is b/c I have the "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" option checked).

but if I uncheck that option, then ...

2) it lets me add the files to the library, but won't copy them to the iTunes music folder. So then I'm left w/ my MP3 files in random/multiple folders.

Am I missing something here? How can I get it to import songs so they appear ONCE in the library while STILL copying the files to the music folder?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is the option you want, but something is wrong with how you're doing this part. What should happen:

- You have an MP3 file that is not in your Music folder and not in your iTunes library.

- You drag it into iTunes

- It gets added to the iTunes library and copied into the Music folder

- You delete the original copy that was outside the Music folder if you desire.

This should only result in one copy of the song in your iTunes, not two.

3. thehuhman macrumors member

thehuhman

ITunes Library

I wish I could help, but I am having the exact same problem. I just want to get all of these files organized, without duplicates and without all of those folders that Itunes makes... I must be missing something... Somebody help us... Please...:eek:

4. imac123 thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved!?!? I think..

Thanks for the help!! Here's the solution (i think):

Make sure you have "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" option checked in your preferences. Then the simple drag & drop method will work just fine.

BUT if your folder includes a list of MP3's AND a playlist file for those songs, then iTunes will try to import the mp3's twice b/c it thinks that's what the playlist file is telling it to do. So make sure you are drag/dropping ONLY the songs and NO playlist files (or alternatively you could try just copying the playlist file and it should import all the songs).

Then you can delete the original folder/s

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, the playlist file. Got it. I hadn't thought of that (because I never use them). Nice, and thanks for posting the fix to your own problem. ;)

One more useful tip I'll mention. Say you have a folder with a ton of subfolders and various kinds of files in it, including music files. You can open a new spotlight window and search for kind:music within that folder to just find the music files, and then you can drag the search results into iTunes.... :)