Need to purchase macbook pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andy8, Feb 5, 2013.

1. andy8 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I need to replace my battery as it has begun failing and also got swollen, effecting my trackpad from working too.

I am unsure if I should purchase the replacement battery from Apple or other 3rd party sellers. Apple seems to sell batteries at extremely higher prices than 3rd party sellers at Amazon. But I don't want to use bad quality hardware so it will be helpful if someone could help me recommending replacement batteries at good price.

Im using a Macbook Pro 13inch, Core 2 Duo (mid-2009) model.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I'd go aftermarket from OWC or iFixit if they have them. You can also check Amazon.com and read the ratings to get a sense of how well the batteries work.

No reason to pay the Apple tax on items like this IMHO.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Dont ever get a battery other than Apple made.
    It can be who ever its sold from, but unless its Apple made, you might see some pretty bad stuff on your computer.

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Examples?

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

There are many stories by people who bought third party batteries and experienced,
    -extremely hot computer
    -not charging
    -dont even detect the battery
    -leaking/damaged battery leading to explosion

Although the last one sounds bit obnoxious, lithium ion batteries explodes like grenades.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Apple tax? You must be joking.

iFixit charges $120 for a battery that you have to install yourself. Apple charges a few bucks more (at most, $10 more) for one that they install for you, that is a genuine Apple part. That's $10 well spent, imho.

7. HKSSS macrumors member

There are many stories by people who bought third party batteries and experienced no issues too. So you only choose to listen to people with problems?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

9. leman macrumors 604

There are lots of cheap imitation batteries. You shouldn't get them. First, they might be cheaper, but they are 1) potentially unsafe and 2) substantially worse quality than the Apple's original. In fact, Apple batteries are one of the best in the industry. They are designed to keep 80% after 1000 load cycles, while most other manufacturers only quite 300-400 load cycles.

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I replaced SWMBO's 2010 MBP battery with a 3rd party one and it turned out much better quality than the original apple one - which lasted 6 months and swelled to 2x its size and warped the case (genius refused to replace under warranty because batteries wearing out wasn't covered).

The 3rd party one then worked perfectly for 2 years, and was half the price of the apple one. TBH it looked like it came out of the same factory. I'm sure there are bad ones out there but I don't think the apple ones are any better really (my 2008 MBP battery failed in exactly the same way, but took 4 years to do it, so I wasn't so bothered with that one).

11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Apple does not make batteries, they buy from a 3rd party. I have replaced batteries on other laptops and some have been better than factory.

I have found many replacement batteries on the web for Macs, but would look for one that people give good ratings to. OP, good luck on your search.

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Take it to Apple and have them replace it. What's the point in saving 20$ to risk a $2000 computer?

13. marc11 macrumors 68000

No since there are tons on amazon with four star ratings for half that.

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

*shrug* No matter. Not my system, what do I care?

15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

So you would buy a product that might have a 50/50 chance of failing?
    I wouldnt, I would only buy that Iam sure it will be fine and if there is a problem, I can get a free replacement.

As GGJ explains few posts under you, I would not trust them.
    There might be lucky stories, but you have to see the downside as well.

----------

You know what I mean.
    Go take it to Apple and let them replace it with their battery's provided.
    I wouldnt risk my computer for a knock off battery because I refused to pay extra bucks.

16. marc11 macrumors 68000

Everyone saying only trust Apple batteries need to remember the OP is replacing an Apple battery that has failed, swelled and is about to cause damage to his machine; so even Apple batteries can fail badly. I know Apple has since fixed that issue, but the point is, there is no promise that any source will be better or worse than any other. Just because something is not OEM does not automatically making it a poor choice and it is far from a "50/50" chance.

Of course the Apple battery is probably the best and safest route, it does not mean a battery purchased off Amazon with over 1000 4 or 5 star ratings will blow up.

A lot of these third party batteries are the same exact ones put in Apple computers, from the same factory, made to the same spec and QA, just sold aftermarket.

IMHO anyway.

17. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im not saying it wont fail.
    But I would rather have Apple to provide it and if its their fault, they have to replace it for free.
    As the sticker on the battery say, "Do not remove the battery".
    I wouldnt do that if I am under warranty, but in this case OP is not covered.
    So tbh I dont care what he does but I wont recommend it from the 3rd party choices.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Sorry if I misunderstood, but when you said Apple Made I just assumed you meant Apple Made...My bad.

But keep in mind that many of the batteries you get on the web are made by the same battery company that supplies Apple. So you can end up getting the same battery or at times even better battery, but for $60. I have used many many 3PP batteries without issue (when in IT), and trust myself over Apple to do the change.

I know we all like Apple, but just because something comes from them does not make it better.....Just more expensive :)

But if someone feels more comfortable taking it to Apple, and doesn't mind spending the extra money then you should go that route.

I am just glad I didn't take this stance on my RAM, I saved a bundle and got better memory.

19. Binomio macrumors member

Have you tried taking it to Apple, I have seen many cases where Apple replaces the battery for free, it doesn't hurt to try

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The only reason why I would get it from Apple is because of the warranty issue.
    I dont want to void my 350 dollar warranty because I didnt pay couple of bucks.
    If it was a defect battery, Apple has the responsibility to replace it for free.
    But if I bought the knock off and by any chance damaging my computer, my I would have to pay for all the damage.

I mean if there is a battery that is just as reliable, I would get it as soon as my warranty is done haha

21. HKSSS macrumors member

I would agree with you if it's under warranty; however it's not in OP's case. Aren't we here to give advise to OP's case?

When you say about getting something that has 50/50 failing. When you buy something online, I always look for a proper shop that has warranty. So if anything goes wrong then you can exchange it.

I bought a knock off battery for my 07 white MB and it worked flawlessly. Though it doesn't do 6-7 hours but I am happy because i pay less than 50% than Apple's.

22. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yes I understand. As my third from last post made by me, I mentioned he isnt under warranty so I drc what he does.
    The only reason I would buy it from Apple out of warranty is if you computer ever breaks, Apple can refuse to fix.
    In fact I had great 3rd party batteries with my PBG4 and 2006 MBP.
    I decided not to use them after the warning sticker came on there.