Need to Re-install Cydia -- What are My Options?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spetznatz, Sep 14, 2010.

1. spetznatz macrumors regular

spetznatz

I bought a 3GS 32GB running 4.0 JB'd & UL'd, however the Cydia installation appears to be hosed... it just won't start (get a black screen with 'Running' on it and a progress bar showing no progress. I've left it on all night like this... still there in the morning.

So, what are my options for getting Cydia running on my iPhone?

Restore from backup and re-jailbreak? (can you restore from a backup of a jb'd iPhone?), then unlock?

Restore from the 4.0/4.0.1 .ipsw, the re-jailbreak and unlock? (the .ipsw files are taking forever to come down the line).

I'd prefer to use jailbreakme.com because it's a '1-stop shop'.

Is there any way of installing Cydia without restoring / re-jb'ing? Someone suggested using Mobile Terminal to kick-start Cydia, but how do you get it onto the iPhone? iTunes refuses to install it, and without Cydia... seems like a vicious circle to me...

Any help, suggestions gratefully received...

2. bhattsan macrumors member

Restore is out of question, you can only resotre to 4.1 (which would kill your unlock and jb) unless he saved the blobs.

If he saved the blobs with tinyumbrella, your life is a lot easier and you can just start over on 4.0.1, but otherwise you will have to reinstall cydia through ssh. Did he install openssh?

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Download TinyUmbrella and run it, it will tell you if you got SHSH saved on Cydia servers, if you do, go ahead and restore to 4.0.1 or 4.0 (DO NOT,,,I repeat, Do not restore to 4.0.2 or 4.1 for any reason).

Now before you do that, do you have an official carrier SIM? if you don't you will need to search around for the work around, even when you can restore to 4.0.1 if you are lucky that the previews owner saved the SHSH you will not be able to activate if you are in a non-official carrier (there are several ways to do that, easiest one being pre-paid SIM).

4. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

did you install SSH?

i had a problem with cydia a while back on my 3G, i just downloaded the lastest Cydia in deb form, SSH'ed into my phone and installed it from there.

you can get cydia in deb form here.

worth a try before you upgrade and lose your JB (god, i would really be unhappy without my JB)

5. spetznatz thread starter macrumors regular

spetznatz

Cheers, all...

The phone was jb'ed and ul'ed when I got it... don't think the blobs have been saved... TinyUmbrella won't let me save them either...

Can't I just restore 4.0 (what's on there now) and re-jailbreak / unlock? SIM is Virgin pay-as-you-go, so no problems there...

As for SSH, I did try to access the phone using CyberDuck, but the phone kept refusing the connection. Do I need an SSH install on the phone as well, and if so, how do I install it?

HighLife, if I could get SSH up and running, which Cydia file would I need from that list? There are loads of them...

TIA

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If you don't have SHSH blobs saved, you cannot restore to iOS 4.0 or iOS 4.0.1. Apple is not signing those versions any more.

S-

7. spetznatz thread starter macrumors regular

spetznatz

So, unless I can install Cydia through the back door, my only hope is to wait for a 4.1 JB that will hopefully install Cydia correctly?

8. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Uhhh, can't you just go back to jailbreakme and reinstall cydia that way?

9. spetznatz thread starter macrumors regular

spetznatz

Well, I know I can't jailbreak an already jailbroken iPhone or I'll screw it, so the process would have to be (somehow) to restore the software (breaking the jailbreak), then re-jailbreak to (hopefully) install Cydia.

Thing is, I get a message when I start Jailbreakme.com "Oops... it looks like the installer crashed last time you tried to jailbreak :(
    It might work if you try it again."

Then I get the message warning me not to jailbreak or dire consequences will result.

I thought there was some way around Apple's servers by editing the 'Hosts' file to point to Cydia's servers (althrough presumably, you'd need your blobs saved there beforehand for that...)