Need to recover deleted apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Moizus, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Moizus macrumors newbie

well ive been looking for some help but i havent found some were well i got this mac book pro 2006 for a gift and by mistake i deleted everything like all the apps it comes with by any chance is there a website i could use to get all the apps that come with the disk

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What version of OS X is it running? DO you still have the disc?

3. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

no it was a gift they just gave me the laptop and whats os x? sorry im a noob with macs

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Nice gift!

Is there any chance the files you deleted might still be in the trash can? ...Deleting files is a two-step process on the Mac (and on Windows, too): first you delete stuff, then you separately empty the trash can. Until you take that second step you can still recover the file... usually.

So, in the dock at the bottom of your screen (probably... though some folks put it on one side or the other), tell us what your trash can looks like: empty, or with "paper" wadded up in it?

If it's not empty, you may be in luck. Click on the trash can to open a Finder window showing its contents. If a file you want to rescue is there, hold down the command (cloverleaf) key, next to the space bar, and click on the file. Up will come a menu. Select "put back". Do this for each file you want to rescue.

I hope that gets you back where you started. Good luck!

----------

OS X (pronounced "O. S. Ten") is the Mac operating system-- the fundamental software that paints the screen, works the keyboard, etc. OS X is a version of the Unix operating system with Apple's special user interface and style. It's a fabulous operating system, solid and swift and secure.

You can determine what version of OS X is at work on your machine by clicking on the apple logo at the upper left corner and selecting "About this Mac".

A new version of OS X comes out every year or so, incorporating changes that take advantage of new technology, adding some features, dropping others, and so forth. Similarly, new machines are supported by new versions of OS X, and old machines fall off the support list.

5. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks and no there deleted ive checked a while back but hopefully some one here helps me

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The system won't easily let you "delete everything".
    Can you boot the MacBook Pro, so you see the top menus?
    You should see the Apple in the top left corner.
    If the menu immediately to the right says Finder, keep looking to the right, and click on the Go menu.
    In that Go menu, click on Applications.
    There should be at least 20 or 30 items (maybe many more) in that Applications folder. The important apps to look for in that folder are a few items that should be in the Dock for quick use.
    Look for
    Safari
    Font Book
    iTunes
    Mail
    Preview
    System Preferences
    Time Machine
    Utilities (which is a folder with 20 or more different apps, which are important to use your system)
    There will be quite a few more, but some of those that I mentioned are ones that you would typically use every day, and WILL be in your Applications folder.
    Which of those do you NOT see there?

Also, click on the Apple menu/About this Mac, and tell what that window shows for version number, Processor, and Memory.

7. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

i only got 11 apps and there some that i just downloaded

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What version of OS X do you have now?
    (that's the Apple menu top left, About this Mac)

9. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

the version is 10.5.8
    processor is 2.16 GHz intel core 2 Duo

idk which one you need

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Thanks…
    Now I know what you have, and it will help to give you good recommendations.

Because you have deleted some apps - and it will be difficult to say what ELSE is missing that simply copying apps back to your system might not be worth doing. I think you should reinstall the system, which would get all your Apple software back in place.
    Did you get any disks with your Mac? particularly system disks - the original disks are a set of two grey DVDs, that would have system labels, such as "MacOS X" and the version number for the system, which would likely be 10.4.8

Because you have a newer system, those original disks may be a challenge to get everything working again, without erasing everything.
    Another, better option is to purchase a system upgrade. You can get a newer system (MacOS X 10.6.3) direct from Apple for only $20
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
    Installing that would get most of what you deleted (and newer versions, too), and give you the big advantage of software that is more useable than the 10.5.8 system that you (mostly) have now.
    The only thing that you haven't said is how much RAM memory is installed - which is on that same About this Mac window. 10.6 (Snow Leopard) requires minimum of 1 GB, and you may already have more.

11. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

are you foreals i could buy the software? i thought that i couldnt update no more cuz it tells me that my thing is up to date is it possible to buy a higher software?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That's correct.
    If you run your Software Update, it will say that you are up to date.
    But, you can _upgrade_ your operating system by booting to a newer version, such as the next newer, which for you, is Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). That is a purchased upgrade, but doesn't cost much to do. Worth doing, I think.
    Your MacBook Pro can upgrade another step to Lion (OS X 10.7), but probably not as good an upgrade, because I think you need 4 GB of RAM or more - and your MBPro can't use more than 3 GB of RAM.

13. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

oh man i never knew that thanks guys you helped me alot imma go and buy one soon and mine mac pro has 3 GB 6677 MHz DDR2 SDRAM whats the highest update i could get??

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can only buy a Snow Leopard (10.6) disc by going on Apple's web site or calling them directly. You haven't said which processor the computer has. But, if it will run 10.7, you still need to get the 10.6 disc. That will give you the App Store for downloading a higher upgrade (it's not an update).

Too bad the shift keys and period do not work.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Umm... yes they have:

16. Moizus thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrite thanks guys ill do that all you guys helped alot