Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slovig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Hello,

I am trying to bootcamp win7 on my iMac (2010), it's saying there's an error, and that I need to reformat the HDD first, then try to bootcamp. So if I understand it correctly, I need to backup my OSx, then reformat using diskutil? Then partition, and install OSx, then when that is all set, install the windows, right?

Thanks!

-Jesse

Slovig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
When I try to run the bootcamp partitioner, its giving me the error that I need to reformat the hdd.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
How much free space do you have, and how large is the BC partition you;re trying to create?

BC needs a single contiguous free space big enough to fit the BC partition. The BC assistant will try to move data around on the OS X volume in order to create this space, but there are various system files it cannot move. This means that, even though technically you may have enough space, if there is not enough to create the contiguous space then the only way out is to reformat and reinstall, which will create the contiguous free space.

Slovig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
...but there are various system files it cannot move. This means that, even though technically you may have enough space, if there is not enough to create the contiguous space then the only way out is to reformat and reinstall, which will create the contiguous free space.

This is the problem it's encountering. Right now, I'm currently backing up my drive. Once it finishes, do I just pop the OSx install disc in? Or do I have to format the drive first? And can I partition the drive during the OSx install? Or do I have to wait until it's finished, before it'll let me do that?

Thanks again!

-Jesse

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
This is the problem it's encountering. Right now, I'm currently backing up my drive. Once it finishes, do I just pop the OSx install disc in? Or do I have to format the drive first? And can I partition the drive during the OSx install? Or do I have to wait until it's finished, before it'll let me do that?

Thanks again!

-Jesse

Ah ok, that makes more sense then. What you need to do is boot from the install disk by holding the C key at startup, then run disk utility and reformat the entire hard drive to HFS+. If you are doing a time machine backup currently, then you can select the restore option to reinstall, otherwise, just go ahead and install normally. You won't be able to do anything while it is reinstalling, but afterward, you will be able to make your bootcamp partition.

Slovig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Ah ok, that makes more sense then. What you need to do is boot from the install disk by holding the C key at startup, then run disk utility and reformat the entire hard drive to HFS+. If you are doing a time machine backup currently, then you can select the restore option to reinstall, otherwise, just go ahead and install normally. You won't be able to do anything while it is reinstalling, but afterward, you will be able to make your bootcamp partition.

Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. But now, if I choose the restore option, won't it then put everything back the same way, therefore causing the same issue? Is it an option to do a fresh install, make the partition, then restore to the new OSx partition?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. But now, if I choose the restore option, won't it then put everything back the same way, therefore causing the same issue? Is it an option to do a fresh install, make the partition, then restore to the new OSx partition?

I don't believe it will put them back in the same places on the drive, because time machine doesn't store that sort of information. It should put them in a contiguous block or a few blocks, but not spread out over the whole drive.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
But now, if I choose the restore option, won't it then put everything back the same way, therefore causing the same issue? I

No, because Time Machine is a file copy, not a block copy. In other words, it just copies the information, not the layout of the disk. So restoring from a TM backup should lay down the data in the most efficient way and lave maximum contiguous free space.

Slovig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Ok, now that I have installed windows, when I try to boot into it, it gets past the loading windows screen, and now is just a black screen. I don't remember having any problems like this when installing it on my macbook, any thoughts? It was win7 64x professional.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Ok, now that I have installed windows, when I try to boot into it, it gets past the loading windows screen, and now is just a black screen. I don't remember having any problems like this when installing it on my macbook, any thoughts? It was win7 64x professional.

Don't know if this is your issue,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979491

I stumbled upon this while searching some youtube video on the Bootcamp process. An individual was boot camping Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit onto a 13" mid-2010 MBP (my exact model), and said this was required.

He installed this as soon as Windows booted up. (i.e., before the 2nd boot up after installation.).

Anyone ever heard of this before?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.