Need to reformat my mac but it won't let me.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sacredream, May 11, 2007.

1. sacredream macrumors newbie

I don't think there's anything that can be done I just want an explanation. My Mac mini froze while an update was happening. So i screwed something up and can't use certain apps and install things. I know the solution was to reformat my mac, but it won't let me. I have the disk inside and when it starts up the installation it just says the software can't be put on the drive or something like that. it won't even let me get to the installation part it just tells me to restart on a different network.

So i have a mac mini but have misplaced my os x disk (I think my ex roommate stole it) so I'm using a buddies os x start up disk for his G5. as far as I know OS X disks are universally compatible am I wrong or am I just screwed.

Any advice would be great.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you have an intel mac mini, trying to reinstall with powerpc disks won't do you any good. also, i knew someone who tried to reinstall mac os x on his powermac g5 with someone else's older pm g5 disks, and it wouldn't let him. maybe the reinstall disks are model-specific?

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You will need Mac Mini disks or the retail version of Tiger

FJ

4. sacredream thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks that's all i needed to know now i can go shoot myself in the head:(

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I bought a sealed retail Tiger DVD on eBay for about half the normal Apple price.

What part of the world are you?

FJ

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if your mac mini isn't powerpc, retail mac os x tiger disks won't help you either as they are not universal binary.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry, I didn't realise that. :eek:

FJ