Need to repair drop damage... please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pw1981, Jan 26, 2011.

1. pw1981 macrumors member

My poor MBP (A1260, Early 2008) has been dropped three times. Each time, NOT by me. And each time was dropped in about the same place - front right corner, by the optical drive.

Until recently, it has been working fine. Even the optical drive continued to function perfectly. But over the past couple of months, the optical drive has begun to act up. Nothing else about the machine is malfunctioning.

I need to get it repaired. If it was just the optical drive, I would gladly perform the repair myself. However, as best I can tell, I need both the upper and lower case assemblies replaced in addition to the optical drive.

I have researched iFixIt's web site and I see they have the parts and instructions. I have opened the MBP up before to replace the HDD with a larger one, but I don't think I am comfortable with a complete disassembly and re-assembly.

The only place I know that fixes Macs is the Apple Store and I am completely confident that I can expect to be raped in the posterior for this kind of repair.

The cosmetic damage is not severe so I could just replace the optical drive, but I am afraid that the racking of the case assemblies would cause me to be unable to re-assemble due to the screw holes going out of alignment when I take the screws out.

Anyone ever tacked this kind of repair? Ever paid the Apple Store to do it?

2. Mangos86 macrumors member

Get the parts yourself, then try http://tampa.craigslist.org/cps/. I'm wouldn't pay more than 60-100 dollars to have a shop do this for you. As a matter of fact I wouldn't even order the parts til you went to someone to confirm your diagnosis. That part shouldn't cost you a dime.

3. pw1981 thread starter macrumors member

So I have been more closely examining the damage...

The lower case assembly is damaged, but not severely at all. Best I can tell, the damage is to the plastic clips which are above the DVD drive inside the unit. The issue is which side of the clip is damaged. If its the part of the clips on the lower case, I am screwed. If not, I can bend the metal back into place and just replace the top case panel.

I think I found a line on a parts unit with no screen and a fried logic board. Looks like it will be cheaper than the separate parts. That would let me have everything on hand when I take it apart :) I think I have settled on DIY for the repair since I am broke.

4. pw1981 thread starter macrumors member

So I have been more closely examining the damage...

The lower case assembly is damaged, but not severely at all. Best I can tell, the damage is to the plastic clips which are above the DVD drive inside the unit. The issue is which side of the clip is damaged. If its the part of the clips on the lower case, I am screwed. If not, I can bend the metal back into place and just replace the top case panel.

I think I found a line on a parts unit with no screen and a fried logic board. Looks like it will be cheaper than the separate parts. That would let me have everything on hand when I take it apart :) I think I have settled on DIY for the repair since I am broke.