Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakewoodhiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Hey all...I'd love some feedback and opinions on the 16" MacBook Pro.

So here's what I currently have:
Late 2011, 15” MacBook Pro (8,2)

Primary Use: I’m an Academic/Researcher. I do a lot of sample image processing, Matlab, python, R, coding/compiling, lectures, presentations, photoshop, illustrator, and all other day-to-day regular stuff. This is my primary workstation for work, home, and travel. I don’t use a desktop. Some applications I use are x86 dependent and/or proprietary. I should note that I do also work with some 3D imagery/rendering, as well as a a little FinalCut movie creation/editing.

What it originally came with:
  • 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 (Quad Core)
  • 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram
  • Integrated Graphics - Intel HD 3000 512 MB
  • Dedicated GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 512 MB
  • Disk 750 GB 5400-rpm Drive
  • MacOS - Snow Leopard?
What I've upgraded over the years:
  • 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram (OWC)
  • 1 TB Solid State Hard Drive (OWC)
  • MacOS (Currently Sierra)
What I’ve replaced:
  • 78 Watt-Hour Replacement Battery (OWC)
  • New Mag-safe power adapter (Ebay)
  • Wifi Bluetooth Flex Cable
  • 2015 - GPU Failed (known Radeon defect) - motherboard replaced under Apple replacement plan
  • 2019 - GPU Failed again (same defect) - Currently using ‘MacBook Pro dGPU Disabler’ and force-running on Intel graphics only.
What is failing:
  • Because of broken dGPU, I cannot connect to an external display without a special USB video dongle/contraption (this stinks for lecturing)
  • Because of broken dGPU, I cannot do heavy image processing/rendering right now. It slows the computer to a halt and spikes thermals.
  • Keyboard - multiple minor issues (some keys don’t respond well or stick, etc)
  • Screen - Some bad pixels
  • Wifi - sometimes drops
  • New Battery - already failing again (holds charge for maybe 2 hrs max)
  • Track pad sometimes doesn’t click fully
  • I cannot upgrade macOS right now because it will break my dGPU disabler and render my laptop a 'brick'
What I love and/or will miss:
  • I LOVE the anti-glare screen and will miss this terribly. I have a 2019 iPad Air that is so glossy to me, I had to buy the ‘Paperlike’ brand screen protector for it to make it more matte (which I highly recommend btw)
  • All of the ports! (and yes, even the DVD player). Not looking forward to dongle hell. I use the ethernet port at work. I'll probably get a thunderbolt mini-hub of some kind.
  • The little battery life indicator button on the side (I know...it's silly)
  • MagSafe power cord!
  • Most of all though, the ability to upgrade it and/or work on it myself.
  • Yes this laptop has had its share of issues, but I always know I can take it apart and tinker with it. Had it not been for the damn Radeon issue, this machine would have done really well over its almost 10 years.
I know Apple announced ARM yesterday, but I’m perfectly content to stay on x86 right now. Bottom line…I also just can’t wait any longer. I need a functional machine for Fall semester. I’ve already had 1 more year out of this machine than I thought I would after the second dGPU failure. I do realize that if I buy a new MacBook now, it likely won’t be supported as long as this one has been (due to ARM), but that’s ok.

With all this said, I want a laptop that will last me as long as possible (since it is my only workstation) and get the best bang for my buck with longevity in mind. I had been sort of holding out for a 14” pro to have something a little more portable, but since it didn’t materialize, I’ve really decided the 16” is my best option. Having the extra graphics power will most assuredly help my image processing and 3D rendering research as well (despite my traumatic history with failing dGPUs). I’ve moved a lot of my research files to cloud storage or archive, so 1TB of local storage is plenty (I had thought I would need 2TB, but was just in need of a good cleaning). Sooo…what I’ve narrowed in on for a new machine starts with the higher base model:
  • 16” Macbook pro 2.3 Ghz i9 8-core
  • 32 GB ram (upgrade from 16)
  • 1 TB drive
  • AMD 5500 GPU 4 (or maybe upgrade to 8 GB)
This may seem like overkill, but it is my only computer and I want it to last as long as possible. My questions to all of you are:
  • 4 or 8GB of GPU? It’s a $100 upgrade, but is it really worth it? I was hoping to keep it all under $3k. With the 8GB it puts it at $3049 with educational discount, but with Apple care and tax, we’re at about $3600. It’s nice I’ll get some free airpods though ;-)
  • What have been your experiences with heat/thermal issues? I’ve read a lot that these new macbooks get HOT! Would a 6-core or i7 be better for this?
  • I do plan to build my new machine with a clean install rather than a migrate. I know it will take more work to get everything over, but I have moved most apple things to icloud and my appleID. Have any of you had any really major issues with this?
  • Lastly, did any of you also have to bang your head against brick wall with the damn AMD Radeon failures in 2011/12 models? What a pain in the arse.
Anyhoo, that’s my story and I’d love to hear some feedback from all of you…

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have the machine you are looking at with the 8GB GPU. I do primarily software development and create presentation of technology and development. The machine works fine for this, but under high workloads the fans make noise. This is not unexpected, but so many people on this forum seem to think they should be silent I thought I would mention it.

I also never migrate. I view a new machine as a way to making a clean start. I backup all the old files and find after a few months over never need 50% of them. So since they are backup in the cloud these days there is no new to have them on the MBP 16 "just in case".

Never had a 2011/12 MBP 15, so no experience with RadeonGate. But, I will say I wish my 16" MBP had an Nvidia GPU so I could use the GPU acceleration via CUDAdnn. That would make some of my models train in 1/5 or less time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.