Need to replace HD on old PPC white Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duelingdragons, Aug 26, 2010.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

This is my roommates, she got it in 2007 as far as she remembers.

The HD is shot, can't verify, even after a repair.. its shot.

Will any 2.5" SATA drive work?? Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any 2.5" SATA HDD with a maximum height of 9.5mm will work.
    www.macsales.com or www.newegg.com are reputable online vendors.

Btw, PPC is short for PowerPC and is the architecture used in Macs with IBM G3, G4 and G5 CPUs till 2005/6, the MacBook uses the x86 architecture and uses Intel CPUs.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

PPC? The MacBooks were the first Intel Macs, meaning they replaced the iBooks, which were PPC.

What made you think MacBooks are PowerPC?

Yes, any 2.5" SATA drive should work without a single catch.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There's no such thing as a PPC MacBook. It's either an Intel MacBook or a PPC iBook. Does it say MacBook under the screen?

If she bought it new in 2007, it's a MacBook and any HDD will work.

There's no thermal paste to apply on a pre-unibody MacBook hard drive. It's a simple matter of unscrewing two brackets, replacing the drive cables (edit: and four drive pegs), slotting the drive in, and screwing the brackets back on. - http://www.macinstruct.com/node/130

5. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

It's definitely a Macbook, my fault. I tried to install Snow Leopard and it said it couldn't install, at first I chalked it up to being a PPC processor but I guess its just a bad HD.

At least I learned something today!

Thanks for the help all :)

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ah yes. I just put together a unibody MacBook and a MacBook Air and had to meticulously reapply the paste and didn't consider that the heat sink doesn't need to be removed at all to replace just the hard drive. Hahaha, I was thinking back to all the times I've had to replace the screens and motherboards and so on. XD

Exactly what does it say when it tells you it can't be installed? Is a certain naughty boy using the GRAY discs?

7. scottacus macrumors newbie

I disagree completely.

HDD replacement on a 2007 MacBook is EXTREMELY easy. The case does not need to be opened. And IIRC the only screws are on the drive bracket (the memory bracket in the battery bay has captive screws that are almost impossible to lose. The only non-standard thing you need is a Torx screwdriver (and those are pretty easy to come by).

Even for someone doing a first-time replacement, this should be really easy as long as you have a tray to keep the screws in and you follow basic static electricity precautions.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

-.-'

What's wrong with me...

First I confuse the MacBook with the unibody models then the iBooks...

I'm sorry, yes, you just remove the panel behind the battery.

At least I would have recalled that right away if I had a MacBook right in front of me.

Damn...