Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GD0X

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I bought my first gen iPad over the summer, love the thing... unfortunately I have to replace it with a notebook since my computing needs have grown more advanced than the iPad can handle.
So i'm looking for a relatively cheap notebook, less than 700 hopefully. I've been thinking about a used macbook/macbook air. But after looking, i'm not thrilled buying something off newegg or amazon that has/can develop defects (such as the chipping of trim on the MacBooks). So I told myself I would open this up to any 12-13" notebook that can just get me online (don't get me wrong, some power and case elegance would be nice :D). So, suggestions?

BTW, one of my purposes of buying a laptop is to allow me to edit my tech website (novice/noob website haha). I'm rather stuck with overall page design, but hopefully my content (over time) will make things even. So opinions, suggestions, and content you would like to see on a website such as mine would be appreciated. gxsol.net is my site... I bought the domain last month, so don't murder me too bad haha.

Thanks!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
you haven't told us aboutyourcomputing needs. what is too complex for the ipad?

you can get a solid netbook for under 300 (asus).

any number of laptops by toshiba, , or others can be foundeasily.

the cheapest mac is 950.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
you should be able to find a 2009 2.26 13" Macbook Pro or a 2008 unibody Macbook in your budget.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
you should be able to find a 2009 2.26 13" Macbook Pro or a 2008 unibody Macbook in your budget.

if you are determined to use osx, i would second this recommendation.

however, they are quite outdated, and you can get much more bang for your buck with a windows machine. i like windows 7 and would be fine with it myself, but i like osx more, and i don't want to buy software for two platforms.

ideally, you'd spend a little bit more to get a new mac machine (the bottom end mba or mbp). that's what i would do.

GD0X

Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Website design (using flash), using Xcode or equivalent and possibly some graphic/3d design (maya; just making models though)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
In your price range are many good choices of new windows laptops. The Windows 7 experience is very close to OS X. I use both with great satisfaction.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Website design (using flash), using Xcode or equivalent and possibly some graphic/3d design (maya; just making models though)

seriously? even though adobe is backing off of flash you are still using it? well, anyhow, for that kind of work it seems to me that a newer processor would be better. work a few extra shifts to get a new mba or mbp, or purchase a windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.