Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
My warranty is well over (bought the phone in December 2012) and my battery is not what it used to be anymore, perhaps it's time to change it.

1) Is it worth to buy one of those DIY kits (25 dollars including battery) or is it better to just leave it to a "genius", spend real money and avoid the hassle and the risk of a homemade procedure?

2) if I had to go for the DIY route, have they created any new battery in these past two years? I mean, is there anything above 1440mAh that I could fit into the iPhone 5?

Thank you for your help.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
My warranty is well over (bought the phone in December 2012) and my battery is not what it used to be anymore, perhaps it's time to change it.

1) Is it worth to buy one of those DIY kits (25 dollars including battery) or is it better to just leave it to a "genius", spend real money and avoid the hassle and the risk of a homemade procedure?

2) if I had to go for the DIY route, have they created any new battery in these past two years? I mean, is there anything above 1440mAh that I could fit into the iPhone 5?

Thank you for your help.

1. Definitely worth it to do it yourself. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to replace a battery. It's really simple. You can find tons of videos and guides on this.

2. Most likely no. Iphone's don't have the option for enlarged back panels that are designed for larger batteries. And then there's what you can actually fit inside the phone which isn't anything other than a Iphone battery.

Just buy the battery from a reputable vendor like Ifixit or something and put it in yourself.

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Thank you. I thought DIY battery replacement was a dodgy procedure but if it's easy as you say I'll definitely try

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Thank you for your help.

1.) As the previous commenter posted, yes, it is fairly easy to get to the battery and perform a DIY battery replacement on the 5. I stress being careful with the procedure, however, if you have not opened up your phone (or any iPhone) previously. If your screen is uncracked, then you shouldn't have any problem removing it with the suction cup; the last iPhone 5 I worked with, a screen replacement, the OEM screen was stuck so tightly in the casing, that I ended up damaging the screen even more just removing it, partly because my suction cup would not work on the cracked area.
Another 5 and a 5c that I worked on weren't so bad, though, and I removed the screens off of those fairly easily.

2.) I have not researched battery tech on the iPhone 5 enough to offer a suggestion, but I usually try to find as close to OEM spec as possible, just to avoid any potential conflict with functionality. When browsing for parts, I advise browsing through as much of the feedback of the vendor, and take time sifting through the reviews of past sales. That should help build expectation for the quality of parts the vendor is offering.

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
I was going to get a kit from ifixit. My screen is not cracked but it has a screen protector on, it shouldn't affect the suction should it?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I was going to get a kit from ifixit. My screen is not cracked but it has a screen protector on, it shouldn't affect the suction should it?

I don't think it should, as long as you can get an air-tight hold with the suction cup on the surface. There is possibility that the suction cup might pull up the screen protector, but this never happened in my past experiences. Sent from my MacBook Pro.

Jonesythecat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
I would also need the complete kit with all the screwdrivers etc, not just the battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.