Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
The ringer/silent mode switch on my iphone 3g broke. It looks like a little piece of plastic right next to the switch came off, and now the switch is stuck in the silent position. I got it last August so it is still under warranty, but I have some questions:

1. Is there still a waiting list for iphones, or can I just go into an AT&T store and get a replacement iphone the same day?

2. After I do a backup of my iphone, is there a way for me to wipe out all the information on there before I trade it in for a replacement? I read in the iphone manual about a reset option, but that only deletes preferences and settings, it doesn't delete contacts, calendar info and other stuff. How can I delete EVERYTHING (including browser history and cookies)?

3. What happens if I wait until July to get a replacement iphone? By then a new iphone might be out, will they give me the new model for free, or would they charge me for it?

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
1. I dont know because i live in the UK, i just went to Apple, after all the warranty is with them not AT&T.

2. After backing up choose Restore from the device page in itunes, that wipes everything as far as i'm aware. Eject it before giving the device a name.

3. Who knows!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The ringer/silent mode switch on my iphone 3g broke. It looks like a little piece of plastic right next to the switch came off, and now the switch is stuck in the silent position. I got it last August so it is still under warranty, but I have some questions:

1. Is there still a waiting list for iphones, or can I just go into an AT&T store and get a replacement iphone the same day?

2. After I do a backup of my iphone, is there a way for me to wipe out all the information on there before I trade it in for a replacement? I read in the iphone manual about a reset option, but that only deletes preferences and settings, it doesn't delete contacts, calendar info and other stuff. How can I delete EVERYTHING (including browser history and cookies)?

3. What happens if I wait until July to get a replacement iphone? By then a new iphone might be out, will they give me the new model for free, or would they charge me for it?
1. No, but you can't get a warranty replacement from AT&T, you have to go to Apple.

2. Reset all settings: Choose General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as your contacts and calendars, and media, such as your songs and videos, are not deleted. Erase all content and settings: Connect iPhone to your computer or a power adapter. Choose General > Reset and tap “Erase All Content and Settings.” This feature resets all settings to their defaults and permanently removes all your information and media on your iPhone by overwriting the data stored on iPhone. Important: You can’t use iPhone while data is being overwritten. This can take one to four hours or more, depending on the storage capacity of your iPhone.

3. If you wait you will still get a refurbished iPhone 3G, you will not get a new phone.

Dave

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
#3 - they will not give you a new model phone as a replacemet; just like 2G owners didn't get a 3G if they had their phone replaced.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

You would only get a new one if no 3g are to be had. Which is unlikely they will find you one I am sure. Now if you were in Canada with Fido you might have a chance as they are sold out of iPhones already....

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

You would only get a new one if no 3g are to be had. Which is unlikely they will find you one I am sure. Now if you were in Canada with Fido you might have a chance as they are sold out of iPhones already....

That doesn't mean they're out of replacement phones. Apple (like other companies) retains stock for this purpose. If they didn't and essentially upgraded you for free if you had a problem with the phone, they'd be losing tons of money. Hell, most of the forum users would break their phones for the replacement. It's also likely that there are still 2Gs kicking around Apple as owners with AppleCare will just be reaching the end of their coverage.

cap'njack

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
I think the likelihood of you getting the 'new' iPhone for free would be slim to none. I think in the UK they have 3 attempts at fixing the problem before they will supply you with a new phone, but that can also be a re-conditioned phone.

If it were me I'd take it there straight away, although I'd probably go direct to Apple instead.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
OK I will have some time next week to go to the Apple store. Will they give me a new replacement, or a refurbished one? And I assume the replacement will have a one year warranty too?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You will receive an Apple refurbished iPhone. It will not have a new one year warranty, it will have a 90 day warranty or the remainder of your existing warranty if it is longer than 90 days.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.