Need to replace my 2006 MB logic board

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dontlosetouch, May 1, 2011.

1. dontlosetouch macrumors member

Hey there. I've a early 2006 1.83ghz MB which logic board has died, part number MA254B/A

Anyone know where I can get an affordable AND compatible replacement? Looked on eBay and can't find anything

OR

a recommended repair shop based in the UK?

Thanks

2. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I have a friend with a similar machine where I think the graphics chip is getting flaky -- replacement logic boards are surprisingly expensive, though I found a couple places that will fix it mail-order for around $350 US. Apple might even fix it for around that price too. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

3. pna macrumors 6502

Yes -- I posted on the Apple flat rate $350, out of warranty fix it plan. I was using it to get the logic board replaced on my 2006 original core duo mbp. They started the transaction for me in the apple store at the genius bar, and apparently the only real requirement is that the laptop isn't badly physically damaged or liquid damaged. You could probably start the process with applecare representatives as well, even though you're out of warranty.

They estimated 5-7 days to turn it around for me. After 10 days or so they were still waiting for the part. When I called they expedited it, then after another two days, just offered me a 50% discount on a new mbp.

I happily took them up on their order, and they set up a CTO 15" mbp for me at my request. Ended up saving over $1000 off of the full price. A very nice turn of events that, given how scarce those old logic boards appear to be, may well end up happening to you as well. If not, it's a fairly cheap repair, all things considered.

4. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

Nice -- i think this MBP 1,1 in question was bought used (through macofalltrades) but was once under applecare as well. I think that might tip the scales in his favor a bit as well.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

iFixit.com carries them and ships to the UK. It also is cheaper than eBay which is rare for proprietary Apple parts.

However, given the obscene prices of Motherboards. It would likely be cheaper to buy a working 2006 Macbook, swap out the hard drive and RAM if needed and sell your current unit as is for parts only on eBay with a good description of the problem and pictures.

Heck it would most likely be cheaper to do the above and upgrade to a Lion compatible Late 2006 Core 2 Duo Macbook. Perhaps even move up to a Santa Rosa or Penryn Macbook. You'd be shocked as to what a defective Macbook will fetch on eBay.