Need to Replace my 2ghz Intel Core Duo. Suggestions for someone in the Graphics Field

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wintg005, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. Wintg005 macrumors newbie

    Jun 7, 2010
    Hi everyone!
    First time on the boards! Was wondering if anyone could give some advice. I currently own at 2ghz Intel Core Duo (white Model), 2gb of Ram, ATI Radeon X1600 Imac.

    Im desperately in need of an upgrade even though this one is working great with the exception of the heavy photoshop/illustrator work Im doing. Also, I will be heading to grad school in the fall for 3d/motion design work. So definitely need to pick up a new system.

    I was wondering if anyone is involved with the graphics field and may have a suggestion on the best Imac to purchase. I would like a 27" version of it as well. I can hold off until the end of summer if needed (if they announce updated hardware, LOL, I know they are hard to predict)

    I really appreciate any advice. I just need one that is going to be fast and be able to handle the work Im going to be doing.

    Thanks again!

  2. TMRaven macrumors 68020


    Nov 5, 2009
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    The quad core i5 should be fine with the upgraded GPU, if you want that little bit extra get the i7.

    The upgrades "may" bring the quad core i5 across the board with the i7 on the top end, and the Core2Duo in the bottom end education iMac.

    The Mac Pro "may" go hexacore soon to put the distance between it and the quad core iMacs.


    Though there are some that would say, go mid grade iMac add a MacBook, and use the computer Lab Mac Pros for final work. Though that means going to the school and looking at the labs.

    Of course the iPad adds a new twist these days.
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    Right now is probably the worst time. You're going to be waiting. I know I've waited.
  5. rnb2 macrumors regular

    Jan 23, 2006
    West Haven, CT, USA
    Enough with the Cult of Waiting! Newer, faster computers are always coming! If it will let you do more work faster, make a choice and take the plunge.

    Your best option right now is the i5/i7 27" - they're fast, the price is right for what you get (especially compared to current Mac Pros), and even if they update them in three months, the upgrade won't be dramatic (there are no dramatically better parts in the pipeline). You might save a couple hundred bucks by waiting, but increased productivity over three months should be worth far more than that.

Share This Page