Need to replace the superdrive in my iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mgod, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mgod macrumors newbie

I have a nearly 5 year old iMac G5 running 10.5.8. Recently the super drive in it has stopped responding. Ironically I have another G5 one sitting here that a friend wanted to sell to me that turned out to need a new mother board, so he left it with me for parts. Here's the perfect use for it, right? Well, taking the failed drive out is easy. But they won't directly swap. My current one has a drive labeled MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845. The parts one has a drive numbered 825. And although the sockets appear absolutely identical to the eye, the 825 won't seat. Urg.

So... looking online replacement drives are stupid expensive. Any thoughts? Go outboard? Any way to get the 825 drive to seat?

DS

2. ahenson macrumors newbie

I have one you could buy. My iMac G5 died (bulging capacitors) in Nov., and it's just been sitting off to the side and I got a new iMac in February. The superdrive is newer than the machine and I replaced it under Apple Care DIY. They sent me a new one and I sent in the old one. AFAIK it works fine.

Mine is a iMac G5 17" 1.8GHz. Which is yours? I can let you know later tonight what kind the replacement drive is. :) Let me know if you are interested!

3. mgod thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

Thanks - after talking to a local tech who told me that getting the connector to seat is harder than you'd think, I tried again really pushing down on it and in it went. So I'm up and running again with the 825.

DS