Need to replace unlocked iPhone w/o AT&T service

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hElLoHiNes, Jan 3, 2011.

1. hElLoHiNes, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011

hElLoHiNes macrumors newbie

sorry if i posted this in the wrong thread, long story short....

family vacation last week, pushed my sister in the pool she had her iphone in her pocket, phone works but has water damage to screen. i now need to replace her phone. problem is her phone is unlocked and she doesnt have at&t service. what are my options? any chance apple will exchange it for the $200 out of warranty replacement?

thank you in advance to anyone who leaves a response! cheers....

i tried using the search feature and came up with nothing.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Out of warranty and you admit that you broke it, your chances don't look good. You could hope that it will be fine when it dries out or you could ask Apple. You have nothing to lose and repair might be cheaper than buying your sister a new phone. Good luck.

3. hElLoHiNes thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought i read that apple would exchange phones for a flat $200 fee?

4. mrbash macrumors 6502

The phone may still work. Try sticking it in a bag of rice for a few days.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If it's just the screen you can find replacement LCD's on eBay for pretty cheap. Most come with the tools. You may want to get the digitizer as well.

6. hElLoHiNes thread starter macrumors newbie

seems she is having more troubles with it, anyone have any answers as far as the exchange at apple store?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

8. hElLoHiNes thread starter macrumors newbie

what if i set it back to factory settings? will they exchange a phone if you aren't a at&t customer?

9. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They may exchange it but it will be a locked phone. You will have to unlock it.

10. hElLoHiNes thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone exchanged a iphone without at&t service?

11. iceblade macrumors member

To the OP, even if it is locked, unlocking it is not too expensive, as long as you get it done somewhere legit or get a legit code. Otherwise, you'll have another messed up phone. There are apparently some legit ones out there if you do your research (I was looking for unlocked phones for when I leave the country).

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

From iPhone Service: Frequently Asked Questions

You should be fine. Just reset the phone to factory settings so that it is no longer jailbroken and unlocked, as that is likely what they mean by an unauthorized modification.

Though it does not explicitly say so in the FAQ. From what I have read the iPhone exchange does not require an AT&T contract. The FAQ makes no mention of a service contract either way.

Note: You can only exchange for a like model (if you were considering an upgrade).