Need to restart macbook each time to access network drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .Logan, Apr 2, 2016.

1. .Logan macrumors member

I've had this problem for years and it's driving me crazy. I've just dealt with it. If anyone can solve it, I would appreciate it so much!

I own a Western Digital My Cloud (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140), it's just a 1TB network drive, it's plugged into the router and I can see it in "Finder" under the shared area. I use it to share media (music/movies, etc) and then stream from my television or access from other computers in the house.

4 out of 5 times I click on it under shared in finder I get the message "WDMyCloud can't be opened because the original item can't be found".

To fix it, all I do is restart my macbook and it spontaneously reconnects and works again. How do I fix this???? Is there some kind of "Keep-Alive" I can set up in OSX? I've tried almost every setting imaginable on the device itself. It's becoming so frustrating to restart first before I can manage media from my macbook.

I have OS X El Capitan.

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Have you tried the "connect to" button near the top right of the Finder window?

3. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

Just tried it, no luck!

I wonder if it's related to the macbook going to sleep and not reconnecting network drives on waking?