Need to restore 3Gs....what would the experts suggest?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by m3coolpix, Aug 1, 2010.

1. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Unfortunately, I think I need to do a restore. My 32gb 3Gs (tethered blackra1n jb on 3.1.2 with new bootrom) seems to be slowly dying. It takes a long time to respring, and if I do a reboot, it then takes an even longer time to boot up after running blackra1n. Several times it has 'hung' on the lock screen, but it makes it past it every now and then.

I do have 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1 shsh blobs on Saurik's server (double verified ;)). Haven't done a restore since the first of the year when I got this iPhone as a Apple replacement...

From what I gather, I can only go with 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and be jailbroken... Don't really care for the unlock (on AT&T), although it would be beneficial for resale if I do decide to go with an iPhone 4.

Should I use 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 via iTunes? Pwnage tool? Or just use blackra1n again, or spirit?

For the other info, I am on a Mac (OS 10.5.8), and iTunes 9.1.1.

Thanks in advance for the advice and help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you want to avoid the tethered JB and dont want to have to run blackrain each time you want to restart you phone you can go to official 3.1.3 and then JB with Spirit.
    You wont be able to go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 and be JB.
    Either 3.1.2 and tethered JB or 3.1.3 and untethered with spirit. Your choice.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

(Try Spirit and 3.1.3. or just go iOS 4 without jailbreak)

Attached Files:

4. m3coolpix thread starter macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Thanks, will do the 3.1.3 restore and spirit.

And....while I do get the 'hammer' point :D, my question was to make sure I was understanding the options based on what I'm reading from my searches here on MR in this section, plus a few other Google searches.

I even thought about not asking at all, but, like many out there I really don't want to go through the process 2-3 times at about 2 hours each time with all the info/songs/apps I have on my 32g if I get it wrong.....I've had plenty of those sessions on 1.x and 2.x when I misinterpreted my reading/research. Thank goodness it's hard to brick the iPhone....

Sometimes it's hard to see through the forest of good information as well as intentional and unintentional misinformation considering all the iTunes versions, iPhone versions, pwnage vs spirit vs blackra1n, OS X vs. Windoze versions, etc. etc. I can't keep up with it all (and don't try to every single day)......That's what y'all experts are for.

Again, Thanks!

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You should be fine with the Spirit jailbreak. Good luck, and hope to see you on 4.0 when that option becomes available to you. I'm loving 4.0 jail broken on my 3Gs!