Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jake25uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Hi, I have an iPhone 4 running 4.1 and jailbroken but one speaker has stopped working, I will have to take it back to the shop but will restore it first, I will want to jailbreak it again when it's fixed. My question is, if I send it off for repair will they update the software to 4.2 (which cannot be jailbroke). When I had a nolkia and it was sent off for repair the automatically updated the software, is this the case with apple? Thanks.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
There is only one speaker on the bottom of the iPhone. The other side is the microphone.

Common misconception!

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I still giggle every time I read one of these posts :) I made the same mistake when I first got the iphone 4 last Summer. It was also my first iphone. Darned Apple for making the speaker and mic look the same... though it does look more balanced like this.

Stereo speakers WOULD be nice though!

Jake25uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Ha ha, thank you, at least I found this out before I restored n took the phone back to the shop, Shame it's not stereo speakers as my old nokia xpress music had stereo speakers n that had amaZing sound, thanks for the help.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Hardly.

Jake got the joke, so nothing to be embarrassed about :)

Want to know embarrassing? I literally called customer service after I "found out that a speaker wasn't working" and asked them, then they told me... I'm a computer programmer for IBM and made that mistake!

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

swiftbmx said:
Threads like these are embarrassing to the jailbreaking community.

Your right. Since this thread has everything to do with jailbreaking and the question has to do with a problem from jailbreaking

BigWalt

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
LOL I love seeing these threads pop up, But hey we were all noobs at one point.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
So is the speaker/mic situation the same with the 3GS as it is with the iPhone 4? One side is speaker the other mic?

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Really? Funny, I looked at the stickies in the main iPhone forum and selected the one titled read first: common iPhone problems. If you scroll down, it's still there.
This took me half a minute to find. :rolleyes:
I stand by my original position: there are newbies who know how to read the stickies.
The reference to the sticky no longer being there was to a thread that used to be sticky called something like "READ FIRST : Only one speaker working on your iPhone? Read here NOW"

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is very interesting how this is overlook by a lot of people, it is actually crazy the amount of people that take their devices the Apple store for this issue.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
True, it's not as in-your-face as it used to be; however, people still asked this question even when the sticky was separate. Actually, the sticky was titled more like "I only have one working speaker".
Stupid newbies are differentiated by their unwillingness to read the stickies first. They're newbies, so they have no way of knowing if their situation is unique or not. Yet, they're so egotistical as to think their problem is so unusual that they can skip all the stickies.
Personally, I wish there was a way to force the user to read the stickies on the sub-forum first before allowing them to post.

The reference to the sticky no longer being there was to a thread that used to be sticky called something like "READ FIRST : Only one speaker working on your iPhone? Read here NOW"

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
True, it's not as in-your-face as it used to be; however, people still asked this question even when the sticky was separate. Actually, the sticky was titled more like "I only have one working speaker".
Stupid newbies are differentiated by their unwillingness to read the stickies first. They're newbies, so they have no way of knowing if their situation is unique or not. Yet, they're so egotistical as to think their problem is so unusual that they can skip all the stickies.
Personally, I wish there was a way to force the user to read the stickies on the sub-forum first before allowing them to post.

tho there r also those ppl who dont even know what a "sticky" is ^^

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Really? Funny, I looked at the stickies in the main iPhone forum and selected the one titled read first: common iPhone problems. If you scroll down, it's still there.
This took me half a minute to find. :rolleyes:
I stand by my original position: there are newbies who know how to read the stickies.
The sticky used to be there explicitly named:
Only one speaker working on your iPhone? (Or something like that.)

Sometime ago some smart mod decided to combine it with a general sticky…

So, sweetums, I stand by my reply to your post.
It was removed/moved.

Have a nice day.
:rolleyes:

BTW, as soon as it was moved, at least two threads popped up asking about the iPhone's one speaker…
Coincidence?

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
Can they make both into speakers and mics?

I remember when I was a kid we would plug headphones in the mic jack and record ourselves. Could the same thing happen here to make everything louder?

allisfair

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
that's what i was wondering. why not make them both speakers and have a hole for the mic. almost every other phone uses a pinhole for the mic and apple even used one for that secondary mic.

the only problem i see is when playing games in landscape that one of those speakers could be blocked. then they would have to have one speaker on each side of the phone instead of on the same side.

stereo speakers would be nice either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.