Need to restore iPhone 3G but sleep/wake button doesn't work.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Snoopy89, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Snoopy89 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to restore my brother's old iPhone 3G so that he can sell it, however, the sleep/wake button doesn't work. I can't turn off the phone and whenever I connect it to iTunes it says that it can't be used without entering the passcode again. Whenever I enter the passcode I get a message "iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes" and am unable to enter the passcode again. I'm looking for a way to just completely delete the data/information that is on the iPhone so that it can be safe to sell on eBay. I still have the SIM card if that means anything and everything else seems to work. Right now, I'm waiting for the iPhone battery to die (takes forever) and then put the SIM card in and hopefully that will allow me to boot the iPhone without any message saying that the phone is disabled. Hope ya'll can help, thanks!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You need to fix it before you can restore it.

3. Snoopy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you mean "fix it" do you mean repairing the sleep/wake button? If so how difficult would that be?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is not hard to replace it. It takes me around 20 minutes to do it. You can get pictorial on how to fix this from Ifixit.com

5. Snoopy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Snoopy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

BUMP can anyone lead me to a site selling the correct parts for a reasonable amount?