Need to restore iPhone from backup on remote machine

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmallen2982, Dec 24, 2009.

1. jmallen2982 macrumors newbie

So I lost my iPhone on the way home for xmas. Got a new one (my contract was up anyway, so why not?) and am here with the stock iPhone.

Ideally, if I were at my desktop, I'd easily sync it and get "my" iPhone back. But I won't have that option for another weak probably. I do have a MacBook with me here, however.

Here's what I have. I have a full clone of my desktop hard disk from October with me. I also have full access to my desktop via SSH, and I can open up any ports to via my router, which I also have access to.

Ideally if there were some kind of USB over IP i'd just sync it and be done with it. But on the other hand if I can somehow get my iTunes on my laptop to be an exact clone of the one on my Desktop (through the old backup that I have here) that'd be good too.

Could I possibly boot my laptop from my desktop clone in target disk mode? I seriously doubt that's possible, because my iMac is a 2006 version and my MacBook is a 2009 aluminum one.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

My advice is to set it up as new for now, transfer some tunes on it whatever you need. Then when you go home, right click your iPhone in iTunes and see if you can restore the backup from the previous iPhone. :)