need to restore jailbroken & unlocked 3GS before selling it

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, Jun 11, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I have a 3GS that is jaibroken at 3.1.2 and unlocked as well even though I'm uisng it with AT&T (modem firmware is at 04.26.08). In anticipation of getting the 4, I am planning to sell my 3GS and want to sell it as unlocked. I have SHSHs on file with Cydia for 3.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3. I'm assuming that I can restore it to 3.1, re-jb it and unlock it and then sell it like that. Is that correct?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There are at least half a dozen threads currently running on this since everyone wants to sell their 3GS phones. Might want to read them for the answers. :rolleyes:

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Who are you, the thread police? My question required a simple yes or no, yet it took you more time to tell me to search the half-dozen or more similar threads that are running. If you don't want to help that's fine, but I'm not new around here and I do know how to search. This is hardly the first time someone has asked a question that has already been asked here. Jeez.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apparently not !

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I have an idea. How about if you have nothing helpful or constructive to add to my thread you just stay out of it?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not a good idea to give one of the guys who is most helpful with jailbreak issues on this forum a hard time. Just sayin'.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can also restore to custom 3.1.3 created with pwnage to preserve your ultrasnow baseband and unlock.
    And then sell it JB and unlocked with the latest firmware out.

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much!

-aggie-: I understand that lizard is usually very helpful but he did not come across as very helpful here. If someone doesn't want to help I get it, but why take the time to tell me to search when you could have easily just answered the question? I've answered plenty of redundant questions here - it's really not that big a deal. And again, I've been around here long enough to know how to search. Sometimes you just want to post a question and get an answer, ya know;)?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I know what you mean. My policy is to tell someone to search and yet still give the answer anyway (unless they're a troll).

10. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah - that's a good way to handle it too. I may have come across a little harsh to lizard and I do apologize for that.

Back to my original question, Applejuiced mentioned that I can restore to custom 3.1.3 created with pwnage. Does that mean I'm supposed to download 3.1.3., create a custom ipsw with pwnage and then restore to that? If so, that will preserve my baseband at 04.26.08 so I can then jb with pwnage and unlock? Or am I supposed to restore to 3.1.3 via my SHSH in cydia and then jb using pwnage? I think I'm a little confused now.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, download official 3.1.3, create a custom 3.1.3 that will let you update your firmware but wont touch your baseband.
    And the custom IPSW is also JB and preinstalled with cydia.
    Thats assuming your iphone is currently JB right now and WITHOUT a tethered JB.
    Good luck bro.

12. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh - wow. It's that easy, huh? I am jb (untethered) and unlocked right now at 3.1.2 so this sounds like it should be really simple. Once I create the custom 3.1.3 ipsw with pwnage 3.1.5 and restore to it, all I'll have to do is install ultrasn0w for my unlock and then it's ready to be sold, right? I didn't realize it was going to be that easy.

Can I just follow this iclarified tutorial then?

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5432&laid=

13. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

All I really need to do is create the custom 3.1.3 ipsw and restore to it though right? I don't need to do the rest of the steps.

Also, do I have to do this while my 3GS is still activated (before I activate my iphone 4 on my account)? The reason I'm asking is because I know that once I restore to the custom firmware, I'm still going to have to go into Cydia and download ultrasn0w and I assume that the phone will need to be activated in order to do that. You can't just depend on wifi, right?

14. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

So I made the mistake of updating itunes to 9.2 and I guess I can't do a custom restore now. Do I have to use one of my SHSHs in Cydia, restore to whichever one I choose and then re-jb now? If so, will that keep my modem firmware at 4.26.08?

15. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually now that I've done some reading I see that I can upgrade to 4.0 and still unlock. Is there any reason I shouldn't just do that instead and sell it that way? Guess I can just update using pwnage tool since I have the old bootrom, right?