Need to restore to 4.2.1 but no files....

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by bludragon06, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bludragon06 macrumors regular

As the title says my mother has an original iPad and her iPad is at 3.2.1 or whatever 3.2 or something. Anyways, my question is where can I get the 4.2.1 software for the iPad. If I restore in iTunes right now I will get 4.3. I dont want that. I want 4.2.1! Any way to do that? She is interested in jailbreaking her pad! Thanks in advance...
    -Dave

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Well.......you could go to itunes.com/version and search for the firmware in the list.

3. bripab007 macrumors 6502

If you've never used Cydia or TinyUmbrella to cache her iPad's SHSH files, having the 4.2.1 firmware on-hand will do you no good, as (I believe?) Apple has already stopped signing the 4.2.1 firmware.

If that's the case, you can only restore to 4.3.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As mentioned on previous post, you need to have your SHSHs saved if you want to installed anything else than the current firmware released by Apple, (currently 4.3). The windows where Apple was signing those SHSHs for 4.2.1 have already been closed (so unless somehow you got your SHSHs saved by tiny Umbrella or Cydia before) your only option is to upgrade to 4.3 or wait out for a Jailbreak tool.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jailbreak tools don't help restore to earlier firmware. It's more the other way around -- people save SHSHs in case a jailbreak method requires a downgrade to earlier firmware. If you didn't save the SHSH, there's no way to downgrade, now or ever.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Thank for telling me how the Jailbreaks tools works :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to say that new tool will allow him to downgrade without SHSHs, I meant to say that he is stuck until the new tool is release that can Jailbreak 4.3 and he can get all his stuff back. ;)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, if OP doesn't mind a tethered jailbreak, there are tools available to jailbreak 4.3 right now.

8. man00 macrumors newbie

Odd I used TinyUmbrella to save the SHSHs for 4.2.1 but now after trying to restore I'm with 4.3 and no option of going back to 4.2.1..bumer

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You won't find an "option" to go back. You need to run TU TSS server (That simulates Apple Servers but point locally instead of the internet), and them manually restore to an older firmware.

10. Zermelo macrumors regular

The best option for the OP since his mother's ipad is still on 3.2.x is to jailbreak it with Spirit or whichever jailbreak allows for unthethered for 3.2.1 and wait for an untethered jailbreak for 4.3 which is (by all information) close to being finished.

This would give you the advantages of the jailbreak, and then you could update in a few weeks to 4.3 and get whatever features you want with that.

He can still jailbreak, just not update to 4.2.1. It's much better to jailbreak the 3.2.1 and wait a few weeks/(days?) for the unthethered jailbreak for 4.3 to come out.