need to restore... without using restore!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tessthetyrant, Jun 10, 2011.

1. tessthetyrant macrumors newbie

So far as I know, this is a unique problem. I did a search on the site and couldn't find anything... but then again, I did put myself in this situation.

I received my iPhone 4 about a week ago, and as I was syncing it, I noticed it would not update to iOS 4.3.3. (it came with 4.3 loaded on it). I decided to ignore it for a while, as I had to go.

Quickframe to yesterday, when now I'm trying to update to 4.3.1 and 4.3.3 by manually downloading the IPSWs, saving them and using shift+click Update. The update goes all the way, fully extracting the software, but when it gets to "verifying update with Apple" then I get a 3194 error "iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)." I even just manually downloaded 4.3, and the same thing happened.

What I really wanted to do was jailbreak it, so I used redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to jailbreak, selecting the 4.3.1 IPSW when prompted. It seemed to have worked fine, but the Cydia icon was just blank white. Weird. When I opened it, it would immediately crash and revert back to home screen. The weird thing is, this also happens with Safari, but with no other app.

Now, I want to just return my iPhone, since it won't restore OR update to any other iOS, but I know they'll blame my problems on the jailbreak, and call the warranty void. So, I just want to take the jailbreak off.

I'm using iTunes 10.3.1.55 on Windows Vista, all Vista updates installed.

tl;dr -- I need to remove the redsn0w jailbreak off my iPhone 4 WITHOUT using the 'restore' or 'update' functions on iTunes.

If you need any other info, or want a video of me trying to restore so you can see all the steps, let me know. Pretty desperate here.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Just do a DFU restore and Apple should automatically update it to the latest version.

EDIT: you could also do "erase all settings" and see if iTunes recognizes it then

3. Happytodd macrumors regular

The most common problem with not getting your iPhone to update is because your iTunes is not up to date. Check to make sure it is up to date! =]

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. tessthetyrant thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I really appreciate all the help, but none of these have helped. I put it into DFU and tried to restore, but the same 3194 error came up. I'm thinking now about simply sending it back to Apple, because I can't find any solutions.

6. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

fic your hosts file and you should be fine...
    your phone is also fine... no reason to bring it to apple.

7. tessthetyrant thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this worked, thanks a lot Benji222. I had put in a line of code for a previous hack on my 3GS, and forgot to take it out -- this was causing the problem the whole time. For anyone else stuck with this problem, make sure your hosts file is reset to normal, and you're fixed!

I appreciate all the help, everyone!