Need to resurrect an old Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by riversr54, Oct 30, 2014.

1. riversr54 macrumors newbie

I work at a small college. I have an old Mac Pro that I would like to get a little use out of. It is a Mac Pro 2, Model A1186, EMC 2113. It currently does not boot and I would like to re-install OSX but I'm not sure which version I need to order for this hardware. So here are a few questions:

What is the specific version of OSX that should work on this model?

What is the latest version of OSX that it will upgrade to?

Am I Totally wasting my time with this thing?

Thanks for any help.

rivers

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

It really depends on whats wrong. Your MacPro1,2 is a capable machine, and its capable of running Yosemite with some shoehorning, but as for wasting time, like I said, it depends on whats wrong.

3. riversr54, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

riversr54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional help

It attempts to boot the OSX install DVD that I have, but after I select the language, it tells me it can't install OSX on this computer. I don't really think there is anything major wrong with the hardware, just needs to have OSX installed but I haven't been able to determine an appropriate version for that.

Can you recommend troubleshooting tips and/or web sites, keeping in mind that I am an absolute novice in the Apple world.

Thx

BTW...I love the truck in your picture, I have a 1950 3100. Great old trucks!

4. goMac macrumors 603

What version of OS X are you trying to install?

5. macagain macrumors regular

EMC2113 is Mac Pro 1,1 (original). The latest OS X version supported is Lion (10.7). The fact that it even tries your dvd is a good sign... you probably just have too new a version.

6. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

If it's a DVD then won't be later then 10.6.x.

The DVD is it a generic OS X install DVD or one that came with a machine.

OS X DVD's that shipped with machines could only be used with the same machine, i.e. my Macbook Pro OS X DVD wouldn't install on my mac mini, yet when I bought the generic 10.6 SL DVD to upgrade them then could use on both.

7. macagain macrumors regular

Good point! How quickly we forget!

8. riversr54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wasted time

Just as I'm about to figure out how to get the MacPro re-installed (with help from everyone here), there is a loud "pop" and now it won't even power on. I guess it is time to give up.

Thanks for all your help.

rivers