Need to run diskutil without install disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dknight88, Dec 28, 2009.

1. dknight88 macrumors newbie

My computer won't boot in regular or safe mode but I can get into single-user mode. I need to know if there is a way to put diskutil on my iPod touch and then boot from it and run diskutil that way or is there a way to burn a cd with Disk Utilities on it and run diskutil from that. Keep in mind I only have a PC now and I am not sure if it would be able to burn .dmg's or .app's.

2. Mumford macrumors regular

If you're in single user mode, try running the diskutil command (command line version of Disk Utility).

3. dknight88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried running the diskutil command but it doesn't work, it says that it doesn't work possibly because I was in single-user mode.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

if you're trying to fix permissions on the boot disk, you can't do it by booting from the same disk; you have to boot from external media.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

In single user mode if you want to check your drive just run
    Code:
    fsck -yf
    Anything more than that will require a GUI. diskutil doesn't work in single user mode.

6. dknight88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried all of the above mentioned things minus booting from an external device. The last thing to do would be create a boot disk with disk utility on it. Is there a way to download disk utility and burn it to a cd from a PC. I have a feeling I could get disk utility but I don't know if a PC would be able to burn it to a disk. Let me know if this is possible.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Make an appointment with an apple genius, they'll fix your computer in short order.

8. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

If you don't have your original OS install disks just buy Snow Leopard for $29 and then boot off of that. It has Disk Utility on it so you can run it on your hard drive after you boot off the DVD.

9. dknight88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love to do both of those, however I am currently in a country where they don't have Apple stores, and I would prefer to not wait until the 4th of January. Apparently there are some programs that can make boot disks or repair disks and I will try to do this.

10. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

did you find a solution to this? I'm looking to do this too. I still have access to my mac so I might see if I can copy over the program files to an external...

or wait til I can get my disk.

11. dknight88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Being that I am overseas with virtually no options I am going to wait till I am able to get back home and just use my install disk. Thanks for all the help, if anything I learned a little bit more about my computer.

12. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

Should be too hard to make a boot dmg that you can put on a usb drive, should it?