Need to run IE on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Secundinius, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Secundinius macrumors newbie

I don't want to run IE on my Mac, and frankly it's a scary thought, but I need IE to do my computer class tests.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or know where to download it? Again, if it weren't for school, I wouldn't bother. The only system this test it programmed for is IE (why is just completely beyond me).

2. BayouBengal macrumors regular

If you in college/university you may have access to free or deeply discounted copies of Windows, run it in coherence mode with Parallels and it will look like IE is running right there in OSX.

3. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

You should be a bit more clear. Are you on an Intel Mac? If so, you have far more options than PPC.

ies4osx allows you to run prepackaged instances of WINE configured only for IE6 and IE7 instances. Intel-only. It puts a nice little .app on your desktop which launches WINE and IE for you, it requires X11 to be installed, but beyond that, it's very straightforward.

Internet Explorer 5.2.3 for Mac is the last shipping version of IE: Mac. It doesn't use Trident, which is the rendering engine used in Windows versions of IE, and it doesn't use WebKit, so it's pretty pointless to use. It's also PPC-only so it'd be run through Rosetta, and all the overhead that comes with that. This also doesn't support ActiveX, which is probably why you're being forced to use IE, so it's rather pointless.

You could run it from within a VMWare Fusion or Parallels instance. If you're on PPC, your only recourse is probably using Virtual PC.

4. Secundinius thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it in March of '08. Not on it at the moment, so I can't see if it's an intel or not, but i'm about 90% sure it is. I'm also about 90% sure I have X11, so I'll give that one a try. Thanks you for that help and I'll let you know how it goes.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It probably still wont work ...

The classes/tests usually rely on an ActiveX control, which is probably still Windows-only.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Everything since August 06 is Intel.

Just use IE 5.5.

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Or Fusion VMWare which in my opinion is better than Parallels as I have used both...

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it is truly and ActiveX issue, then there is really no way around it
    You will have to find a way to run a Windows version of IE... and there are many options for this

However, if it is just checking for IE, you can go into Safari's preferences, add the Developer Tab and click on User Agent and select the version of Internet Explorer you want to mimic

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

You might also want to consider Crossover for Mac, and if that doesnt work VirtualBox is a good free VM.

10. Secundinius thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's an ActiveX issue. I believe it just has to do with the program being written to run on IE.

I tried using FireFox, but it said it will only work with IE 6 or 7.

Thanks for the tip Dawg. Will try as soon as I get home.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did you try my suggestion in post #8?
    Some have had good success with doing this

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]