Need to run Packet Tracer, need opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flybub, Sep 7, 2014.

1. flybub macrumors regular

Hey everyone. For my Cisco networking class I need to be able to run Packet Tracer for my exams and homework. This will be about the only time I will use windows so I need some input. Do I need to buy a version of windows and bootcamp or is there another method I don't know about? I've had my MBPr about a month so I'm still finding things here and there since this is my first Mac. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I personally use Parallels for all my Windows needs and I love it. Some like VMFusion but it's ultimately up to what you prefer because they do the same thing.

I wouldn't do Bootcamp just for the fact you can't have both OSs running simultaneously. Welcome to Apple!

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Since you are a student, check with your school as they may have an agreement with Microsoft in which you get Windows for free (MSDN or some other portal).

If this is the only thing you need to run Windows for, consider the nature of the problems and determine whether or not running Windows in a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox is free) will work for you.

Bootcamp is built into your Mac, so if you go that route follow the documentation from Apple for installing Windows.

4. flybub thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. We used virtualbox from Oracle for the first time in class Friday so I'm pretty wet behind the ears with that software. Our school is certified through Cisco so we do have windows software we can put on flash drives and install and I believe it is good for 180 days before the trial expires. I was told this Friday as well so I assume it's the full version of Windows 7 or 8 (our choice) but I don't know that for sure. I was under the impression parallels and bootcamp was the same, looks I'll be doing some googleing. Thanks again for the help.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Parallels is a more fancy version of VirtualBox. Given your uses, it probably doesn't make sense to buy virtualization software.

Bootcamp is basically just a partitioning tool that divides your drive up so you can install Windows as a second operating system (it helps with drivers too). Unless you think you will need full on Windows due to the access you need on the Network stack, I would virtualize Windows using VirtualBox.