Need to save files from harddrive before I restore my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by exhibit.b, Jul 30, 2009.

1. exhibit.b macrumors regular

OS X won't start up on my macbook. So I put in the installation disc that came with the computer so I could restore the the operating system. But I want to backup all my files before I do this. What is the easiest way to go about doing this. Appreciate any help on this.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well, you should have been doing a backup with time machine before OSX had a problem, then this all would have been avoided. But since you didn't:

Do you have an external drive as large as your internal hd? If so, plug it in, then go to utilities-> disk utility on your restore disk. Then select your internal HD from the left and then at the top select, "new image." Save this image on your external hd.

Then if the all goes well with making the image you can go ahead and do a clean install of OSX. After you complete your clean install and boot into leopard. Plug in your external hd and double click on the disk image you made. This will then mount and you can find any files that you want and manually drag them over to where they belong.