Need to scan or copy lots of old newspapers - hardware/software advice requested

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PDE, Apr 20, 2007.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm in the process of trying to finish my Ph.D. dissertation -the last stretch I hope. A long time ago I borrowed some old CHinese newspapers that I need for my research - they're copied, bound and reduced in size, spanning a five year period. Unfortunately the library wants them back and since it's in another state (CA and I'm now in NY), I won't be able to access them without considerable trouble.They're also not available locally or anywhere nearby.

I'd like to copy or preferably scan quite a few articles (hundreds if not more) so that I have them for future reference. I have a small canon scanner but it really is much too slow for this kind of large-scale scanning. What I need is:

- something that is fast so that I can flip pages, scan, flip, scan and not have so much downtime between scanning.

- Something that allows me to increase the size of the original by at least 300% - the original is so tiny that it causes tears when I read it.

- something that is not too expensive - $200-$300, maybe more if it saves time.

Any suggestions for software and hardware that would streamline this would be very very much appreciated!

Thanks

2. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020