Need to Scan Slides & Negatives - Product Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by reimerd10, Nov 27, 2007.

1. reimerd10 macrumors newbie

I have many old slides and pictures that I would love to have in my iPhoto library. For most of my pictures I also have the negatives. I'm looking for a scanner that can make my dreams come true.

I've seen a few products but was wondering if anybody here had any experience doing this and / or advice as to what brand and model they could recommend.

Also, is it better to scan the negative or a print? Some of the prints are damaged where the negative is still good but other prints are undamaged.

2. jlcharles macrumors 6502

It's by far better to scan the negative. You didn't mention what format, but I'll assume 35mm is all. I'd suggest the Nikon Coolscan V ED. It's going to run upwards of $500 I think, but after you finish scanning everything you can always sell it. Unless you still shoot film that is.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Another vote for Nikon Coolscan V ED: simple to use and terrific results. You're always better off going back to the source: slides and negs, rather than prints. A fine-grained 35mm slide holds a remarkable amount of information...

4. Photomax macrumors regular

If you live near a major city then check professional camera stores that also have a rental counter. Here in Seattle I am able to rent a Nikon 5000 ED for the weekend for like $40. You can then scan away, dumping the scans into a folder for later editing...