need to score points with the father-in-law...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flatfoot99, Nov 6, 2011.

1. flatfoot99 Guest

Sorry for not researching better but need an answer to this before I go over and help.
    First off, I know everything about an iPhone/iPad, but never had a mac (plan to in near future). He has an iMac and from what I gather, when he gets a PDF via email, he can't print or edit it like he would on his old pc. I believe he can view it. Appreciate any help!

2. thankins macrumors 6502

To edit a PDF he is going to need Adobe Acrobat Standard

3. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

thanks! is it possible to print from what he has now? sorry for the lack of info. I have no idea what OS he might be using. I just know he can view it...

4. thankins macrumors 6502

Yep - just save the PDF and then open it in Preview.app (it's under applications) or you can double click on the attachment. Then go to file ---- print

5. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

great! thanks!

if he does need to edit, how do I download adobe standard? Does it cost anything? Is there an app store for Mac? lol.. sounds silly, but I have no clue!

6. jahala macrumors regular

If he can view the PDF but cannot print it, there may be security restrictions in place. You may be able to change them with Acrobat Pro. You could also try downloading Skim, a free pdf viewing application. I can print even restricted PDF files with Skim. Depending on the OS version, Preview (comes with the iMac) might strip the permissions if he opens the file and does a Save As...

Good luck. It is hard to know what to recommend with so little to go on.

7. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

a little more info trickling in from the wife...

Mac is about a year old, so I'm assuming snow leopard is running on it. They want to be able to create/edit/print word and excel and PDF. Should I get office for Mac or iWork? or any other suggestions?
    As you can see I really don't know much about this, but somehow my technology handicapped father-in-law thinks of me as the expert and I'd like to keep that illusion going for as long as I can. :D

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Office for Mac I recommend.

9. thankins macrumors 6502

I would suggest Office 2011 for Mac. iWork is great but the learning curve is huge and saving a document in Word is somewhat of a headache for the less savy.

Office is more straight forward

10. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

thanks guys, office it is! is this something I can download from the app store? from Microsoft? or do I need to pick this up from the store?

11. thankins macrumors 6502

You can download it from MS

The URL is here

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...uctID.237192800/categoryID.50726500/list.true

it is a larger download and will take a bit time so you may want to pick it up at Best Buy or something if they have a slow connection

12. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

14. cannonierd macrumors newbie

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

For the average new computer user, OpenOffice can be a bit confusing with file formats and all; it's usually best to stick with Microsoft Office or the iWork suite.

Also, Preview can do more than one would imagine: These are cool "hidden features"... Also this handy PDF tip might be of use to some folks.