Need to send my MBP back...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrChetV, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MrChetV macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

This is my first post in this Forum so a big 'Hey' to all of the Mac Rumors community.

As the title suggests I need to send it back as a I have been encountering a batch of problems including - Image Quality, Over Heating, Battery Charger Defect, Very slow performance in general plus a few more.

I have had my MBP since september of 2010 and so I am still within my one year warranty period and I dont have apple care.

My Issue:

1) As soon as I received the MBP I replaced the 2x 2GB RAM sticks with 2x 4GB (crucial memory) RAM sticks and sold on the apple issued sticks. So what I would like to know is if I send this back to apple should I remove the RAM sticks or leave them in - and if i leave them in will I get them back?

2) I have recently notice a hair line crack in the black casing that you can find just beyond the keyboard (the part that rotates in when you close the screen). I have no idea how it got there as I've only just noticed it and I have never dropped a single on the MBP neither have I ever dropped the MBP I am far too cautious for that. What should I do about this - do I mention it to apple in he hopes that they will accept it as their own fault or not mention it at all in he hopes that they dont notice it in replacing the whole MBP?

Thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Cheers

Chet

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Their not going to replace it right off the bat. They will only replace it if it's 30 days after you purchased it. They will repair it, but you will be without a computer for a few days.

Elaborate on the image quality, and over heating. Have you tried reinstalling OSX?

3. MrChetV thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry instead of putting image quality I should have put graphics issues because my screen every now and then goes all fuzzy and i see green artefacts every where and if you look really close they are flickering. This occurs all over the screen as you can see in the image below.

With the over heating, when I am simply streaming videos through youtube or vimeo the MBP overheats quite badly on the top and the bottom. As well as on other simple tasks.

So in what cases would apple replace the whole notebook?

Attached Files:

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's completely normal for the mbp to run hot as all macs do. install istat pro and tell us what the temps are. It would have shutdown on its own if it got too hot.

The flickering on the screen is another issue. Have you ran the hardware test? (Hold D on boot). It could be the video card or really anything else. Have you tried putting the old ram back in the computer?

Apple usually doesn't offer to replace the computer unless you have had several repairs of the same issue.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think the policy is something like "only after 3 repairs on the same problem". Tell them what's wrong with the computer and they'll do their best to fix it. If they try a few times and can't, you'll get a replacement computer.

But if you start this process with the goal of getting a new computer, you'll probably end up frustrated. Trust that they can fix your computer and you'll most likely end up much happier.

6. MrChetV thread starter macrumors newbie

ok and what about the hairline crack would they repair that?

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's possible, but I would see that as accidental damage.

8. MrChetV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help folks really appreciate the speed of your responses. I am from the UK and I dont think we have any uk specific forums for apple or if they do i have not found them yet.

Watch this space for the outcome of my post.

thanks again

chet