Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Runninthruthesix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Please help if you can. My brother is getting burnt out.

We work together and his personal iPhone is also the work phone. This means he just can’t get a break. My objective is to buy a new third phone with different number for him to use as his private phone.

His original phone will then be the exclusive work phone. Then I can take it at weekends and deal with clients and I can give it back to him during the week. So we each have our personal phones and whoever is “ on duty” also carries the work phone to take calls, messages and emails.

The problem is the suggested business phone is using his Apple ID. I understand that creating a second ID is not recommended so how can we do this. I want him to have a whole different phone and different number so when he’s off, he actually off. I want clients to continue to call the old phone number and email. What can we do? I see I have lots of devices on my account but can you have two phones with different numbers?

Sorry if confusing. I’m getting confused myself now too. Thanks for any help.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You can both get phones that have dual sims and use your personal lines as the esim and put the work number on the physical sim. Then you just pass the physical sim card back and forth and not a phone.

Reactions: akash.nu

TIOATIOA

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2016
SC, USA
You can both get phones that have dual sims and use your personal lines as the esim and put the work number on the physical sim. Then you just pass the physical sim card back and forth and not a phone.

This is a great idea, but requires the physical transfer of the SIM and that could be an issue if they’re not actually in the same spot. As a backup, you can activate call forwarding of just the work line to the other phone if it’s inconvenient to pass the SIM. The main drawback to this is that returning a missed call would come from the personal line if the work SIM is not present in the phone.

Another approach might be an Apple Watch with cellular that is tied to the work number. Wear the watch when you need to use the work line, take it off when you don’t. Talking to the watch is “meh” in my opinion, but pairing it with AirPods is excellent, I think.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Get a new SIM for your brother with a new line. Port the business number to Google Voice and link both of your personal numbers then you can turn the call & text fwd on/off depending on who is supposed to be on call. You can both install the Google Voice app and return calls through that so that you are still using the business number when calling clients back.Access to the GV app also lets you both see all the calls & texts that come to that line at any time. You can also record calls through it (if allowed in your state).

Runninthruthesix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
Any other in-Apple methods. The physical swapping of the cards is a fine idea but don't think we'd really do it. All the porting is probably super simple and i'll look into it but I try to avoid Google where possible. I thought there might be some way to manage his apple ID or account or something before adding any other layers of solution to it. Then again, I don't know so that's why I'm asking for help. Thanks though folks, I have to solve it somehow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.