Need to set up the simplest VNC network where the PC is server and the Mac is client

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mike-d, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mike-d macrumors newbie

Hey :)

I just read this http://lifehacker.com/125607/geek-to-live--how-to-control-your-home-computer-from-anywhere and I followed the instructions carefully to create a VNC network where the Mac is the client and the PC is the server:

I installed tightVNC on the PC, and Chicken of the VNC on the Mac. I tried setting the Chicken of the VNC to "listen mode" and adding the client in tightVNC but it didn't work.

Can you please tell me how to set up the simplest VNC network with the PC as the server and the Mac as the client? I don't seem to know where to put in the IP address and where to put the password :confused:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I run REALVNC on both my PC machine (which is a server and runs 24/7) and my both Macs. Works really good.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sorry, confused about which direction you are trying here.

a) View Mac screen from PC
    b) View PC screen from Mac

4. mike-d thread starter macrumors newbie

b) View PC screen from Mac

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I know what you mean but the terms need clarification: "view PC server thru Mac screen"

but the simplest I've come across is using the browser to "log in" to the server.

ie: I have UltraVNC on my computer and I use ANY computer, thru the browser, to log in.

All that's needed is the IP address to your connection/computer

Set up the router to accept the connection (typically 5900) allowing 5900 to pass thru.

so:

http://aa.bbb.cc.yyy:5900

in the browser address bar to get to that computer.

different computers on the same network would subsequently be IP#:5901, IP#:5902, etc, each one running its own server

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could just use Remote Desktop Connection which is a free download from microsoft's mac division.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

i use teamviewer which is simple to setup on both mac and pc and connecting is really easy. It also has features like file transfer and chat if you need to transfer files from computer to computer.

8. rem1010 macrumors newbie

I have used all versions of VNC on Mac and PC.

I really recommend that you try LogMeIn as it also does not require ANY firewall or router port openings.

It has a free version that has great capabilities and I have used the Mac for both the Client and the Host to other macs and Pcs and Vice Versus.

The VNC client on the Mac leaves a LOT to be desired, although Chicken of the Vnc appears to be the best of the brood.

If you insist on VNC, just set up the PC as a VNC server --- and Ultra-VNC from Sourceforge is the best of that breed.

If you set the PC up properly then ANY vnc client can access the PC with the proper credentials. Vista does present a problem, but it can be overcome.

I just opted for the easy route out.

Also, LogMein has a plugin for FireFox on the Mac for use as a client.

I control PCs and Macs from more than 1100 miles away and LogMeIn has yet to let me down. They have a PAY version too.

If you need to upload files on mac as a host, try out webmin.com for a browser admin to the mac.

ALSO FILEZILLA (Mozilla) can be used as an SSH/FTP to/from the mac from a PC and to a PC if PC is running a TFTP or simple FTP server.

If you need to upload and download files to from a pc then Ultra-Vnc is the best for the PC as a host/server setup.

Chicken of the VNC is kinda clutsy at times, so if the PC is running windows, then you can install a simple TFTP server on it to transfer files to and from. Check out for their FREE (Trivial File Transfer Protocol)

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/free_tftp_server.aspx

Unless you want to install the native MS IIS FTP module which works on XP and up.

If you JUST want to control the PC from the MAC --- get the FREE LOGMEIN and install it on the PC, then Log Into LOgmein account and control PC from MAC with no PAIN!!! You can perform ALL operations on PC as if you were sitting at the keyboard of the PC and this is ALL FREE with no special setups on either machine.

I have been there done that and am tired of the frustrations.