Need to setup a boot password.

samfareed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Is it possible to set a password prompt before the OS loads? (Same effect like when you send a one time remote lock for a lost notebook) ?
I currently have the firmware password enabled, and in the OS I have the Automatic user login turned off.
So upon normal start, the notebook proceeds to the OS login screen, instead on each start I want to be prompted for the firmware password first prior to boot, then continue the usual login with the user account password.
The hard drive is also encrypted with FileVault for reference.
If not possible, is there recommendation for third part application that achieves this?

Thanks

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Since you've got FileVault enabled, there would be no additional benefit to what you ask. You've already got full disk encryption. The disk isn't unlocked until you enter your account password. What looks to you like the OS login screen is a fake of sorts, intended to look like the OS login screen. Only after you enter the correct password is the disk unlocked and the OS loaded.

Last edited:

samfareed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you chabig for the clarification. My concern is that my user login password setup is not as complex as the firmware password. Hence in a communal work environment it may eventually be observed. With a firmware password boot on start I was hoping for a second layer of dual password protection, boot and login.