Need to speed up WLAN

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael CM1, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I must be missing something, because my WLAN sure does seem slower than it should be.

I'm running mixed mode N because of the blasted Wii and iPhone. Gotta have the G compatibility. Still, I thought my connection speed on my MBP should be over 100Mbps. In Network Utility, it says the link's speed is 130Mbps. But in iStat Pro, it says my peak outgoing bandwidth is 52.7Mbps and ingoing is 32.2Mbps.

I have my Time Machine backup on a drive hooked up to the AEBS, as well as two other HDDs storing mostly video.

Does anybody have some speed bump suggestions? I'm basically just going through 2 walls at a distance of maybe 30 feet. We now have the DECT 6.0 phones, which should reduce interference. I know a good bit of tech stuff, but I'm stumped here aside from "get a 30-foot CAT 5 cable."

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

when you have G devices on an N network, the speed drops back to G speeds only (ie 54mbps.)

does this explain what you are seeing?

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

That would explain why the iStat number said a max of 52Mbps. I wondered if something like that was happening because the closeness to 54 caught my eye.

This really sucks because I can't do much about that with an iPhone. I can easily just turn off the Wii, but I kinda like having my iPhone on to get e-mail and whatnot. The computer with a G wireless connector is about 10 feet from the AEBS, so that could also be fixed.

Is there some method of creating a bridge with an AirPort Express unit? Like use one to extend the network and have it bridge the N speed to the G devices?

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i think it would be possible to have N and G at the same time.

if you have a separate router and wi-fi N/G devices, maybe something like this will work -
    [​IMG]
    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

if your wi-fi N and router are the same device (ie airport extreme) then it would look like -
    [​IMG]
    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Im no networking wizard, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.
    make sure all G devices connect to the G router, and N devices to the N router, and the faster N speed should be preserved on the N network.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I like those flowcharts, even though I'm not sure if everything is technically a router. But that's just nerdiness from my networking classes. I'm going to look into this more because of all the data that goes between my MBP and the AEBS. I could also use the AirTunes with the AirPort Express with my stereo, which is about 3 feet from a power outlet.