Need to stop "EDGE Buzz"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by emt1, Oct 3, 2008.

1. emt1 macrumors 65816

I work on a fire department and the EDGE buzz severely interferes with my radio equipment. When I am connected via 3G there are no problems. If I jailbreak, install BossPrefs, and disable EDGE... that should solve my problems right? I don't care about losing internet connectivity when I am outside of 3G coverage (doesn't happen).

2. f1 macrumors 6502

The Buzz is not just from internet Data travelling over the EDGE network. It's the GSM network itself. GSM frequencies except for 3G frequencies cause interference with unshielded speakers and certain other radio devices. It has nothing to do with Internet connectivity.

3. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it possible to disallow the iPhone from using anything other than 3G or WiFi? Would disabling EDGE help my problem at all?

Thanks

4. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this will help in your case, since it's not your own equipment that you would be tampering with, but I figured I'd post it anyway...

Ferrite beads may help.

Check out this article. :)

As far as disabling Edge. You're right, BossPrefs can do that. If it's only Edge that seems to be the problem, what have you got to lose? There are other benefits of jailbreaking too, of course. ;)

5. pj rage macrumors 6502

I haven't tried disabling edge with bossprefs, but assuming it actually does disable it, then, yes, that will solve your problem. You will, of course, lose service when you lose 3G. No biggie if getting rid of the buzz is top priority.

Just so we're clear here, though, are you getting buzz when the phone is not plugged into anything and just near your equipment? Or are you plugging it into something (like your stereo via headphone jack or dock)?

If you are plugging it into something you can try using ferrite beads. These worked great in my car for this purpose.

Otherwise, if the phone just being near the equipment is the problem, then you have much less options besides turning off edge. You could try to determine exactly which piece of equipment is causing the problem and try to shield it or add ferrite beads to it's speaker wires (signal wires), but I suspect this option isn't really possible. I've heard that putting a bunch of tin foil around the phone's back helps also, but I've never tried this.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you try!

6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

it was a quirk for me when my 1st Gen iPhone buzzed my computer speakers all the time. it wouldn't matter if it was plugged in or not. the ferrite beads didn't help my situation (guess my speakers had poor shielding) the best solution for me was to have an anti static bag on my desk as a landing strip for my iPhone. plugged in or not.

this might help you out a bit. if your iPhone is buzzing your equipment with it in your pocket then maybe you can whip up some anti-static bag/iPod sock amalgam to give a little protection but also be comfortable.

text messaging someone is probably the best to test the buzz as well.