Need to take apart MBP display bezel -screwdriver advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I have a weird issue with my MBP - every time I close the bezel there is a cracking sound inside. When I press on the back or hold my hand there, it doesn't make any sounds so I assume that the LCD panel is a little loose. It's not a big deal, but I still hate feeling/hearing that sound.

I took it to the apple store and they said it wasn't a problem because it didn't affect my usage! What BS. Anyway, I'm going to try to fix it myself by opening the display bezel and seeing what's wrong. I don't/can't remove the whole display because I don't have the skill, but apparently it's not that hard to open the bezel, as long as you can remove the screws at the bottom in the front. What kind of screwdriver would work there? It needs to be angled I think, otherwise I don't know how to get in there between the bezel and the main unit.

Any suggestions how to do this would be very appreciated. Thanks!

2. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

The display is "adhesived" (Ill use that term because I dont know if it was tape or glue) into the bezel.

Search for the thread where people talk about upgrading the display in the 15.4 to a 1920x1200 res screen..more disassembly info there.

3. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I found these instructions http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,macbookpro,diagram1.shtml

they're to the left on the page. If I can just get the back off, I'm sure I can figure out a way to fix it. Looking at the above instructions, it could very well be that the sound is the flexing of the cable that goes up the middle in the back - perhaps it's not properly attached. The problem I'm having is getting the right tool to unscrew those screws without having to disassemble the whole computer, something I'm not skilled enough to do.

thanks for any tool suggestions.