Need to take GRE

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HE15MAN, Jun 29, 2013.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I have been procrastinating taking the GRE for three years now, but I am now determined to get it taken this summer so I can hopefully enroll in Spring classes. I have really struggled with math so that is my biggest fear I guess.

I work with two people that have taken the new test, one bombed it and had to go to a private school which cost about twice as much as a state university, and the other did awesome on it.

The program I am hoping to get into requires that you take either the GRE or GMAT, with the minimum score of being 450, or the GRE equivalent of the GMAT 450. The GRE equivalent would be scores roughly of145-150 on each section.

Any tips, advice etc? My strengths are reading, science history etc..

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't some schools waive the requirement if you've been out of school for a long time? After having graduated, of course.

My advice, study and find a tutor for math. Take all the practice exams. Worst case would be you would have to retake it but I understand that could be risky.

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Not that I have noticed. I havent been out long enough for them to care I am sure.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's always worth asking first. Then I'd study and take practice tests until I had it nailed. A tutor is an option if things aren't going according to plan.

5. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

so not studying and taking practice tests is better?

There are GRE prep classes, just like there are GMAT prep classes, combine that with studying and taking practice tests and you have a chance at succeeding.

I would start with not being afraid of a test, there are many things in life more scary than a test.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

GRE tests math at the high school level.

You seem to think it would be tough, so I'd operate on that assumption.

You need to do some remedial math studying right now. Get a tutor and ask lots of questions. Don't worry about sounding stupid, you'll never learn if you don't ask for clarification.

When you work through a problem, convince yourself of the logic behind each operation. Do not just blindly accept a step if you can't understand why it makes sense.

Ask even more questions, and ask them of someone who knows the math and is willing to teach, not just give answers.

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

The math is simple. Some basic review with online guides or a prep book ($20-40) should be it.

When I took the GRE, I focused on that going in to the test, figuring reading/writing/vocab was always a strong suit for me. However, the verbal is harder than you'd think with its multiple answer questions, so I would not try and over compensate the math and forget about the verbal.

9. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Thanks. I work at a college so I am going to go to a few sources I have in the library for help.

Regarding my comment of " do you know how hard of a score that is" I wasn't meaning that it was hard or easy, I was just asking if it was hard or easy since I do not know.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ok, I honestly have no idea what you mean here. From my perspective, such a score is trivially attainable, but that isn't particularly useful for you.

Do some solid studying and hook up with a good tutor and you should be able to achieve it. Good luck!

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't take the GRE. A 450 on the GMAT is easily achievable (out of 800), in the sense that if you can't score that high you're probably going to have trouble in graduate school.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Study through some prep books then just do as many practice exams as you can.

Saying you struggle with math is no excuse - sit down, learn it, and practice.

13. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I took the GRE almost 5 years ago.

I prepared by taking some practice tests, I would suggest the same... it will give you an idea of the kind of math problems you should expect. My brother worked for Princeton Review at the time, and lent me a math refresher notebook... it was maybe 5-10 pages long. I didn't look at it. I graduated from undergrad about 13 years ago, to put it even in more perspective, with a degree in Biology and the highest level math that I took was a second semester of Calculus (which I got a C+ in).

Ended up getting a 760 on the math, 660 on the verbal... just finished the second year of my PhD program.

OP, I think with a quick refresher on some math and a few practice exams to get you acclimated to the content and timing, you should be more than adequately prepared to get a 450.

14. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Thank you guys very much. I really appreciate it.

15. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

From what I've read, the GRE tests how well you take the GRE so in preparation, focus on technique. As you probably know, the GRE is said to be geared more toward language arts folks like yourself whereas the GMAT is tailored toward math folks. Talk to the university you want to enter and find out if they weigh the math or writing segment more heavily. If they tell you, you'll know where to put your emphasis in preparation. Current test questions are not shared with the test prep companies so the questions that are available are from old tests. Try to spend a month and no more than two studying. Give yourself enough time to take the test more than once before your application is due in case you don't like your initial score. It requires you to focus for four hours, which is tough. Go easy on the caffeine and get plenty of rest before the exam. Once you've completed the exam, go ahead and submit your scores. If you don't you will have paid for nothing and won't know where you need to improve for your next attempt. Good luck!