Need to temporarily disable a MacMini...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peregrinemac, Dec 6, 2007.

1. peregrinemac macrumors newbie

I have a quick issue. I've been trying to convince my boss to buy a new mac, but he doesn't understand why the Rev. A Mac Mini is not sufficient enough for a part time production designer. Yea, I know... so before this new kid gets here, I'm trying to convince him to buy something new by way of (temporary) sabotage.

How can I disable the Mini (1.25 G4) so one of our local computer "repair" shops won't know what is going on (but not so simple as removing the memory:rolleyes:), and declare it useless. (After declared useless, I would like to reverse the sabotage and bring it back to work as a small file server).

Help!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow, if I heard my employee was pulling a stunt like that, they'd be fired before they knew what hit them.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As much as I agree with WordMunger if I wanted to do something like that I'd be looking at OpenFirmware, especially things like the auto-boot settings...

4. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Believe or Leave.

Don't stoop to deception. Lobby for the tools you need. If you get them, great. If you don't, decide if you can work there with the tools you have. If you can, great. If not, leave.

Once you start the trickery, it's all down-hill.

5. mheidt macrumors member

I have the same machine. Bought it with 256MB memory.
    It was useless as mediaserver, so I was using a Power Mac Dual 2,7 G5, which is very loud, btw.
    But when Leopard came out and needed 512MB, I bought 1 GB.
    Now it is my OS X Leopard Server and my media center running eyeTV connected to a NAS...unfortunately only 100MB Eth as the mac mini doesn't have GB-Eth.
    There are still some <1sec breaks once in a while, but I can live with it since it is the most silent machine I have ever seen...the new Intel mac minis don't seem as silent as the G4 ones.

If you don't have 1GB, I would go this route first.

And I agree with wordmunger.