Need to test my video ram

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Luis Ortega, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I would like to know if there are some reliable programs that I could use to test the performance of the video ram.

I have been using techtool deluxe to test performance on my mac pro, but since I upgraded to snow leopard it keeps giving me odd results testing my video ram with the new gtx285 video card. Sometimes the test passes and sometimes it fails.
    I am worried that the gtx card may be faulty, or some other part of the system affecting video ram may be faulty, although I am seeing no symptoms of any graphics problems or any problems of any kind on the machine.

I upgraded techtool to the latest version that supports snow leopard but it's still not consistent.
    I installed snow leopard over leopard, and haven't had the time to do a complete fresh install of my new os and all my software.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could try running Apple Hardware Test from your computer's restore disks. If memory serves, you start it by holding D on startup. It should say on the disk label, anyway.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I'd suggest contacting Micromat with an enquiry about your observations since it could very well be a previously undiscovered bug lurking in its bowels.

4. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did run apple hardware test and it reported no problems, but I keep worrying about the behavior of techtool on the mac pro with the gtx and snow leopard.
    Also the apple hardware test doesn't seem to know which graphics card is in use- it calls it unknown, so I am confused as to which results to trust.
    Techtool recently offered an upgrade for snow leopard, which I installed.
    Luckily, I bought the gtx 285 just a short time ago, so if it is a faulty card, I should be able to have it replaced under warranty.
    But the card itself is not behaving wrong, so I can't really give the vendor any evidence that it might be faulty other than techtool seems to fail it in its tests.
    Is there some test that would stress the card and reveal any underlying or incipient problems?