Need to upgrade '08 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Genghis Khan, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Hey Guys,
    I got my Pro a few weeks ago (refurb, so it's standard spec), and had planned to upgrade the ram to 10GB and add a wireless card.

However, today I started using some rather large files on it (200MB+ 3d files), and the screen started lagging rather badly. So I think I'll be needing a new graphics card. (unless this problem is caused by lack of ram)
    P.P.S. I do my modeling on the windows side.

As I've already stretched to get the Pro, getting a 4870 from apple is out of the question (AU$699). So I'm now looking for something else. I can get an 8800GT for AU$369, but that's getting a bit old isn't it?

So I've started thinking of getting a PC 4870 card (1GB card for AU$355). Is it possible to run a PC card on the windows side of a mac pro? (Like would i just have to plug the screen into the second card when i restart?).

And would it be possible to flash this card in the future? (like I've read here, but it doesn't seem to be working very well so far)

Thanks for reading :)
    - Michael

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The graphics card is probably fine. The lagging issue is probably lack of RAM. Only 2GB stock on the '08 models...

Actually, the 8800GT is a pretty nice upgrade from the stock ATI 2600XT.

A PC-specific 4870 would actually work inside Windows, but it would have no OS X functionality without flashing it.

The best "flash-friendly" 4870s seem to be the ones based on ATI reference board designs, like the HIS and Sapphire cards. It's also noteworthy that analog video output (VGA) doesn't work with the current Apple 4870 drivers.