need to upgrade from OS 10.4 to 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pictures, May 6, 2014.

1. pictures, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014

pictures macrumors member

Hello, I need to upgrade my late 2006 iMac from OS 10.4.11 to 10.6 in order to make a printer driver work. I have a disk for Snow Leopard, but when I tried to install it, I got a message that I need to have Leopard installed first in order to do it.

The problem now is that Apple doesn't have Leopard available and I'm not sure where to look for a copy. Wait, not true, I saw one on Amazon for more than $150. Cheaper on ebay, but heavy competition.

Now, I understand that Apple would really, really like for me to buy a new computer, but I can't do it right now. What can I do?

2. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Actually, maybe I should start by asking if my iMac will accept Leopard before I spend any money on it. How do I find out?

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can install Snow Leopard on an empty hard drive, plus you can upgrade from Tiger anyway, so that message about Leopard is wrong. Which Snow Leopard disc do you have? You need the retail version which you can still buy from Apple for only $19.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Your iMac can take Snow Leopard.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You do need to make sure you have more than 1GB of RAM, which is the minimum for Snow Leopard.
    You may even have 512 MB (original RAM on some models), which just won't work with Snow Leopard.
    Your Late 2006 iMac can go up to 2 GB, probably 3 GB.

5. pictures thread starter macrumors member

as it happened, I had an upgrade disk, which was probably why I couldn't do the upgrade directly from where I was. I just got the full OS and it's installing now.

I do plan to upgrade the RAM, shopping for it now. I just wanted to wait to see if it was going to work before I put out more money.

Anyone recommend good RAM?