Need to upgrade my flash player on my Mac Powerbook G4 10.5.8

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bonnie Parker, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Bonnie Parker macrumors newbie

Bonnie Parker

Need to upgrade my flash player on my Mac Powerbook G4 10.5.8 but every download I have found will not install , which one can I use ? Yes I realize this is a very old system but it's all I have for now.:(

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Bonnie, you have a PowerPC Mac and the latest Flash versions are for Intel Macs only. Adobe stopped supporting Flash for PowerPC Mac years ago. I think the last version to support PowerPC was 10.1.102.64.

There is a hack that you can find here in this forum that will change the version number of Flash to read as a version of 11.x.something. But that's just a hack and does not actually change the actual version. It's good enough to fool websites in to thinking that you have the latest version though.

Do a search on this forum for it.

3. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

If its only for videos, i would suggest go on with mactubes, and disable flash in web browsers. The hack indeed exists but you'll see no improvements at all.

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I agree what others say and suggest an altermative to Mactubes called YouView (by MrGecko). For security it might be better to switch Safari to TenFourFox or similar web browser which disables all outdated plugins, like Flash. Flash will choke G4 so no matter the version I don't think you can use heavily Flash-based sites at acceptable speed.

5. honam1021 macrumors regular

Actually I got a few flash games to run with the 11.x spoof hack