Need To Vent About Apple and My Repair....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eatsleepdrivesc, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Eatsleepdrivesc macrumors member

My 1 month old 17" ended up having 4 keys fall off of it. F, I, 7, 5. Took it into Apple. ( Its the oct 2011 edidtion, got it cheap at bb, look up my old threads )

They looked at me and said, well if 4 came off then we should just do a top case replacement and not just stick on 4 keys since others will prob break. I appreciated this and said ok, 4 days later here I am.

I get to the Apple store today since they called and said it was ready. I get there and get asked to show my ID twice, whatever no big deal.

He comes out of the back of the store, with it wrapped up, and a padded envelope inside. Im like ok this should be good...

He takes it out says "that they had to give it some more love...."

Apparently the tech that was working on my baby "severely scratched the top cover near the apple logo" so they replaced that as well. So pretty much everything but the bottom cover. So the "Genius" looks at me and says " well you have basically a new computer! " like it was a good thing. then I look inside the goodie bag, its my 16 gb of ram..... They put in 2 4GB sticks to make it 8 for free since they said my ram wasnt good, ( When I got home I popped it back in and it works like a charm ) so Idk why they did that. So now I have an extra 8 gigs laying around lol.

I look at the bottom and the damn thing is scratched, and believe me, I didn't bring it in that way.

[​IMG]

The Keyboard at least is nice.... Ugh, idk if I should go in or bitch or not, I mean it was gonna get one sooner or later. Sorry had to vent lol

oh and to top it off, it had glue residue on the top case and bottom and I started to rub it off and it liek rolled up into a ball and then the genius was like " oh let me clean that for you"....

The trackpad click is louder than it was before.

Also noticed a new scratch that I never had after they replaced it.

[​IMG]

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'd complain. I wouldn't take anything less than a perfect repair. Glue residue is a sign of pure laziness.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Small scratches I wouldn't say anything. That's a massive scratch though.

Take it back quick so they don't think it was you. Don't wait.

4. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

Went to Apple today,

they said sorry that there is nothing they can do since it left the store. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

and the "genius" added, even if we did replace the bottom, it would be a generic one and wouldn't have your serial # on it...that would be a shame..... like he was making fun of me or something. what an ass.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Did you ask to speak to a manager? Escalate it any further? Unacceptable in my opinion.

6. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

I second that. Get a manager involved, be nice, but make a little "noise"

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. Usually Apple is better than that.

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would never accept such a repair. I'd go back to the store and ask for a manager. If he or she stonewalls you, there is an 800 number to contact AppleCare. The genius that accepted the machine for repair enters notes regarding it's condition and you can use that against him in this case.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

What did the condition notes say when you booked it in?

And I hate to break it to you - but that piece of paper you sign when you pick it up? That's basically saying "I've checked over the machine and I'm happy with it".

Once you've taken it out of the store, it's unrealistic to expect them to do anything about the damage, especially on the bottom case which gets easily scratched in use anyway.

----------

Yes, and he's also signed to say that he's happy with the machine and taken it out of the store.

Although tbh, the moment people start putting genius in quotation marks, I instantly lose respect for them.

10. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Speak to a manager or phone applecare if you are feeling like they are treating you badly. I took my frayed power cable in a couple of months ago and the girl in the store was condescending and offensive in her assumptions, wouldn't even look at my problem. I phoned Applecare and within 24 hours had a brand new charger in my house free of charge and my old one was on it's way back to apple.

11. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Are you sure the 17" was even new when you bought it?