Need to wipe a hardrive of a broken machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Forest91, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Afternoon all
    I recently destroyed my Macbook pro (didn't react to well to a cider) and I have contacted my insurance company who are going to send out a new one. They initially suggested that I get to keep the hardrive from the machine, but now they are insinuating that I have to send in the entire machine. I have lots of data on the drive including unprotected bank details and other sensitive information. I somehow need to wipe this clean by monday when I need to send it off. Problem is I have no idea how to do this, the machine won't boot, all I have is a iMac, I don't even have a fire wire cable that is compatible between the two machines so I can't start it in target disk mode. Any ideas. I refuse to send it to them with my data on it so my last resort will be to destroy the drive itself (although how I do this without causing structural damage is beyond me).
    Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wow. Your premiums must be HUGE given that they'll give you new stuff when you are entirely responsible for destroying it. :confused:

Run a strong magnet over it, drill some holes completely through it... bunch of ways. :D

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Or get an external drive enclosure for 2.5" drives, slide the MBP's drive into it and delete it via the iMac and Disk Utility.

[​IMG]

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I'm thinking that a FireWire cable would be cheaper than an external drive enclosure, especially if you account for the disassembly and reassembly time of the MBP to get at the drive.

5. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

www.ifixit.com probably has a guide to removing your hard drive if you go for the external caddy route. You can backup before you wipe it.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

FireWire might be cheaper but as it's liquid damage that caused the failure there is no way of knowing if this will work.

Just take the drive out and by a caddy

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

A firewire cable should do the trick, even if the logic board is destroyed.

Use Disk Utility to zero out the disk. I'd do a 7 pass erase if the sensitive information wasn't encrypted.

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Time is of no essence when it comes to protecting your bank account...