Need Unlocked iPhone 5S Replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PTVMan, May 19, 2014.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

While traveling I woke up to a slightly glowing iPhone 5S with the grey screen of death. After several attempts to revive the phone it actually came back to life on its own about 90 minutes later. Nevertheless I've made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow to have the phone replaced. My iPhone 5S was unlocked by AT&T - will the Apple Store replace it with an unlocked phone?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I certainly wish you the best, but the automatic unlock transfer did not happen to me. I had an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 that I got replaced out of warranty with Apple. The replacement phone is still locked to AT&T, and my repeated pleas with them to unlock it are ignored.

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

Was the unlock initially done by AT&T or third-party?

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The initial unlock was through AT&T. The replacement phone was never activated for cellular use on AT&T; so even though it's locked to their network, they claim not to even see this phone. So I am caught in a limbo.

7. Chief87 macrumors newbie

That is strange. Have you tried another SIM in it?

8. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

At Apple Store now and been told that I have to contact ATT to get the replacement phone unlocked. I'll bet ATT screws me.

9. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

We just had our T-Mobile unlocked 5s replaced through Apple and we were given an unlocked 5s.

10. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Techgirl, I assume you purchased your phones already unlocked and that is the reason Apple replaced with unlocked phones?

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It was not purchased unlocked. The phone was locked to T-Mobile and unlocked by T-Mobile (after their 40 day, 2 month payment requirement).

After getting the replacement from Apple, we called Apple customer service and confirmed that the phone was unlocked.

12. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, Techgirl. Chatting with ATT now and they are totally clueless and unhelpful.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Yes I have - a SoftBank SIM and a T-Mobile SIM. Both didn't work.

14. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my replacement phone is indeed unlocked. Color me surprised (and happy). Thanks everyone!

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah I had my iPhone 5 unlocked (third party, back when it was possible) and it was replaced twice for different issues. Each time, the replacement was automatically unlocked without me having to ask anyone.

Good to know the situation is the same for the OP.