Need urgent advise, pls help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golu14, Jun 24, 2012.

1. golu14 macrumors regular

So im getting a new laptop.
    I have finalised between

MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display (256gb/8gb)
    Or
    MacBook Air 13" (128gb/4gb)

Now the problem is that this pro starts from 2800$ in my country and air 13 from 1400$
    Im geeting a whooping discount of 500$(18%) on the pro, and 200$(11%) on the air.

If i get the air,
    I will eventually upgrade to 256gb of space in near future which will cost 300-350$
    (as soon as the memory chips are available on ebay)
    Also, i will upgrade the ram when i get it from apple which costs about 100$ more
    So it will eventually cost me about 1600$

if i get the pro with retina
    It comes with 8gb of ram and 256gb hdd already so i will not need to upgrade
    I addition to it, the pro comes with retina display, larger screen that i really want, much faster processor(dual core i5 vs quad core i7), dedicated nvidia keplar 1gb graphics, better speakers.
    All this for 600$ extra.

Is the extra money worth it for the pro? I love the extra large screen geogeous display and the already extra specs.

My use will be basic like music editing, browsing, music litsening, photo, movies, online MMOGs etc

Also, as im getting more discount on the pro, its likely to sell for a better resale value means less loss than compared to resale value of air. Right?

Thanks.
    The offers r valid for next 2-3 hours, a quick reply will be appriciated.

2. Skjetne macrumors member

The best advice is to get the one you want the most. And I would think the re-sell price of the retina is higher.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As it's very much a matter of personal preference, only you can decide if it's worth it to you. Others won't have to live with your decision... you will.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

My advise is if you aren't sure of exactly what you want, do not buy on impulse. Rather wait to make a completely informed decision and then purchase, even if it costs a little more at the end. There is a reason why these promotions only last so long.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You cannot upgrade the RAM in the Air or the RMBP after you order, on both models the RAM is soldered to the logic board.

If you want 8GB of RAM in the Air you have to order it that way.

6. sgd316 macrumors newbie

buy both try them out and return the one you didn't like as much an option?

7. limo79 macrumors regular

Macs are PRO in a name only.

If you are going to edit a lot of audio/photo/video stuff many hours go for rMBP.

If you need a laptop at home go with MBA - now with USB 3.0 it is a great laptop and you can transfer your data faster than over FW800 and USB 2.0.

Remember: Buying MBA or classic MBP is a SAFER choice. There are no OS performance issues like in rMBP (laggy scrolling in Safari etc).

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what they said:

9. golu14 thread starter macrumors regular

i really find both laptops great and MBA seems enough for my use.
    i think retina MBP is a better option over 8gb/256gb MBA
    but for 128gb/4gb MBA, i just pay 1250 dollars, a whole 1000 lesser.

but is 4gb ram enough?
    i will definitely be running windows too on it.

its just about the ram and the resale value now before i decide!:rolleyes:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're running Windows via Boot Camp, 4GB may be enough. If you plan to use a VM for Windows, I'd go with 8GB.

11. golu14 thread starter macrumors regular

and will the extra graphics support help in other fields like watching movies or videos other than video editing or gaming?
    i usually play games on my ps3 and i hardly edit videos.
    (but photos, yes, sometimes)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, extra graphics capability would affect watching movies.

13. golu14 thread starter macrumors regular

what would you choose if you were me?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the point of my first post. I'm not you. I never play games, never use Windows and have altogether different needs and preferences than you. What may work for me may be terrible for you.

15. golu14 thread starter macrumors regular

yea correct :)

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If you love/really want (your words!) the extra large screen, then get the one with the larger screen. Don't compromise on a purchase like this.

17. golu14 thread starter macrumors regular

For someone who has handled both, does the air feels significantly thinner than the retina pro? As the air is just 0.11 inches at the thinnest point?

----------

Im almost sold on it already :rolleyes:

18. golu14 thread starter macrumors regular

Just buyed the retina pro for 500$ off the mrp

Large, high res screen, better speakers, better performance..couldn't resist :D

And at such discount, im sure to get a super resale value. Not expecting to sell it anytime soon though.
    Macbook air was all but exciting. Its a good portable laptop but probably lacked the 'new, exciting' feel.

Thanks all :)
    Macrumors(and mac) rocks:apple: