Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roaldbergmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys.
I'm really a fish out of water here. But I'm in great need of some help. But I really don't know if this is he place to get it (maybe you can point me in the right direction?).

Case:
I have a very important InDesign-file (CS5) that's been toasted. I'm getting the notorious (and rare) "error 5"-message. The file can't open no matter what I do. I've figured out that this error could be because I've been copy pasting big images into the ID-document instead of using Place (silly me). I didn't make a backup (stupid me).

I've heard that Markzware have made an extension program for Quark Express 8 (which i have just downloaded in trial) called ID2Q that makes Quark open ID-files. Even files that have the error 5. My problem is now this: There's no trial version availible of ID2Q and since I'm a student with empty pockets I can't afford to by the software for the aprox. 200$.

Therefor I'm looking for someone that might have the software lying around and would be willing to get my file (I've put it up on a ftp-server) change it into a quark-file and return to me. I should then be able to open it in ID and save it again as .indd - at least that's what i read around the web is my ONLY solution.

Looong post, I know. Sorry. Do ANY of you where to get this kind of help?

Thanx.

Roald from Barcelona

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
...change it into a quark-file and return to me. I should then be able to open it in ID and save it again as .indd

Nope, that won't work. InDesign can only open Quark files from versions 3.3 or 4-4.1. From QuarkXpress 5 and upwards, Quark locked InDesign out. Like InDesign, QuarkXpress will only save down one version, so even if someone managed to open your corrupted file in Quark 8, they'd only be able to return a Quark 7 or 8 file back to you.

roaldbergmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Nope, that won't work. InDesign can only open Quark files from versions 3.3 or 4-4.1. From QuarkXpress 5 and upwards, Quark locked InDesign out. Like InDesign, QuarkXpress will only save down one version, so even if someone managed to open your corrupted file in Quark 8, they'd only be able to return a Quark 7 or 8 file back to you.

Hmm..? So just get this straight: My InDesign CS5 will not open ANY file that ID2Q makes me, no matter what version of it I use? Coz' in this video it looks possible?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hmm..? So just get this straight: My InDesign CS5 will not open ANY file that ID2Q makes me, no matter what version of it I use? Coz' in this video it looks possible?

You can not open a Quark 5, 6, 7 or 8 file in InDesign without converting it first to an InDesign file, or in the case of a Quark 5 file, downsaving it to Quark 4, and even then, the converted file is rarely perfect and can sometimes be unstable. The workaround that you're proposing wouldn't work as you'd get back a Quark 7 or Quark 8 file which you wouldn't be able to open.

Always save multiple versions of your work files. Always link and never embed large image files into any page layout file.

roaldbergmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
You can not open a Quark 5, 6, 7 or 8 file in InDesign without converting it first to an InDesign file, or in the case of a Quark 5 file, downsaving it to Quark 4, and even then, the converted file is rarely perfect and can sometimes be unstable. The workaround that you're proposing wouldn't work as you'd get back a Quark 7 or Quark 8 file which you wouldn't be able to open.

Always save multiple versions of your work files. Always link and never embed large image files into any page layout file.

Yes, this will definitely be the last time I don't do backups.

If I understood you right, it COULD be done if you also use the Q2ID-tool that converts the Quark 5, 6, 7, or 8 file into an Indesign. It's ok if it won't look perfect. I just need something to recreate text, design and layout from.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If I understood you right, it COULD be done if you also use the Q2ID-tool that converts the Quark 5, 6, 7, or 8 file into an Indesign. It's ok if it won't look perfect. I just need something to recreate text, design and layout from.

Yes, you could go that route, but you need people with both utilities, neither of which I currently use at home. Most places I've worked that have any Markzware utilities like this, usually only have one for converting legacy files in one direction, not both.

Have you got a PDF of any kind from this InDesign file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.